Sights In Heidelberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
February 13th 2005
Published: February 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Heidelberg CastleThe Heidelberg CastleThe Heidelberg Castle

Overlooking the city of Heidelberg is the famous Heidelberg Castle
Hello Friends

I’m finally posting a few pictures taken while sight seeing in Heidelberg.

I’ve toured the Castle twice now and I’m certain I’ll give it a third visit before I leave. Most of the castle was built between 1400 and 1620. It is a ruin now. Some of it was destroyed in wars with France as the Germans and French battled over the city as well as by lightening. Inside you’ll find the Great Tun which, apparently, is the biggest wooden barrel in the world to ever be filled with wine. There are other buildings on the castle grounds which I have yet to visit, which is why I’ll need the third visit. ;-)

Another popular attraction is the old bridge with spans the Neckar River. It has been destroyed at least 8 times by floods, ice flows and being blown up by the French. The towers at one end were built as part of the medieval fortification of the city. Right next to the towers you’ll find a sculpture of a monkey, which I thought was a cat at first because of the little mice next to it. Apparently the mice are actually the artists’ signature. I learned on a walking tour of the city that someone had once stolen the private parts (yes, the monkey is anatomically correct) of the sculpture and the artist repaired the sculpture with a sturdier replacement.

One of the city’s biggest employers in Heidelberg is Heidelberger Druckmaschinen (Heidelberg Printing Machines). Right next to the main train station is their Print Media Academy which is one of the coolest looking buildings in town. Inside is a training centre as well as the Print Media Lounge with one of the largest cocktail menus I’ve ever seen. Outside is the “S-Printing Horse,” made of aluminum and the largest horse sculpture in the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

City Taken From the CastleCity Taken From the Castle
City Taken From the Castle

Magnificent view from above. I must come back for a night time view.
The HauptstrasseThe Hauptstrasse
The Hauptstrasse

There is a pedestrian walkway through the old part of town where you'll find shops, restaurants and museums. Great people watching here.
The Old BridgeThe Old Bridge
The Old Bridge

Spans the Neckar River and has been destroyed and rebuilt many times.
Hotel RitterHotel Ritter
Hotel Ritter

Built in 1592
Looking Up at the horse headLooking Up at the horse head
Looking Up at the horse head

Just cuz it's a cool shot....
The Great TunThe Great Tun
The Great Tun

Holds 221,725 litres (58,000 US Gallons) What a party! Biggest wooden barrel ever to be filled with wine.
Heiderberger Print Media AcademyHeiderberger Print Media Academy
Heiderberger Print Media Academy

Home of the Heidelberger Druckmaschinen training centre, the trendy Print Media Lounge and the S-Printing Horse
The Old Bridge MonkeyThe Old Bridge Monkey
The Old Bridge Monkey

The round disk is a mirror. You can put your head underneath the monkey's (like you're wearing a helmut) which is a great photo opportunity.


21st February 2005

Monkey Head
You must...MUST...get a picture of yourself in the monkey head. No excuses will be accepted. - Darouk

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb