Black Forest and Beyond


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Black Forest
August 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

MünsterMünsterMünster

The Münster in Freiburg. Good snags at the market here.
There is all ways something refreshing about leaving the city behind and heading into the country. Having a bit of time up your sleave is another thing too. Maybe we are lead footed, or just see the sites at break neck speed but upon leaving Luxembourg we decided to head down to Freiburg and the Black Forest rather than head to Frankfurt. It was well worth it.

The Black Forest Hostel is a pretty cool little joint with awesome people, we met an Aussie from Camberwell, a canadian girl Heather, and the most annoying American ever, Rory, who found time to spout shit about the war (WWII) and get on everyones nerves. As it was a full moon we were invited to go to the hill top for a fire and celebrate the moon with some hippish people. We trugged around the hills a while until we found them. Not bad, but Finno got in trouble for being loud and disturbing the elves!?!

The following day armed with a hang over and 4 hours sleep we met up with Sebastian, a guy Mum knows from the forestry school, and he took us on a massive bike ride out to
The LakeThe LakeThe Lake

Awesome lake, water was cold and too many old nude men
a lake in the country. It was a 40km round trip with a couple of killer hills. I feel fitter than ever now!
The lake was awesome with blue water and great greenery. The only downside, lots of naked old men, hmmm. A swim was a must after the marathon bike ride followed by lunch and more beer. We then travelled back the easy way.

With a monster hunger now residing below it was time to sample some of the local food and as it turns out there is a mushroom called pfifferlinge that only grows at this time of year and can't be cultivated available so had to indulge in some. They came in a creamy sauce served with pork and roast spuds, best sauce ever.

It was fianlly time to leave Freiburg behind and head further into the Black Forest. The road saw us head to a small town,Ewattigan,and camp. We planned to hike in to the Wutach Chasm the following day as Sebastian had said it was stunning. That night the sky opened up and it hammered down rain. Our 8am hike was postponed but only until 10, and it was well worth it. The
TuniburgTuniburgTuniburg

On the killer bike ride. Vine yards and corn fields.
Black Forest is certainly not one to dissapoint. We hiked 14kms through mud, past snakes (only a small one) over bridges, hills and past a waterfall. It had an otways fell to it but is also miles apart. There was a nice herby aroma through out the forest and the rain held a bay for us aswell.

With the hike complete it was time to head off again, this time to Lake Contance on the Swiss border. We had to cross the border to get there and we had our car searched by border patrol, they were bored and needed something to do. With nothing exciting or illegal to be found we were off again. Lake Contance is the biggest lake I have ever seen but the bad weather didn't make for a very nice stay as it poured rain again. We headed off early the next day and stopped in Triberg to look at Cuckoo Clocks and eat Black Forest cake, very nice.

Our journey took us to a small town, I think it was call Schiltag, we camped on the river with perfect blue skies and green grass. Finno got food poisoning from a can of lentil and sausage mix while we had garlic lamb stir fry with local lamb. This was to be the end of our camping for the moment and we headed to Hidelburg for a couple of days and stayed in the most boring hostel ever. Hidelburg itself was great, the Mecca river is a haven for sun bathers, the streets old and cobble stoned through the shopping area and a castle over looking the town from the hill. We took the hike up the hill to the castle (my calves a tanks now!) and wandered aimlessly for a while.

We are now in Frankfurt, everything is closed and there is nothing to see really, it is the financal hub of Europe after London. Looks a bit like Melbourne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Black Forest Black Forest
Black Forest

From behind the water fall
Black Forest  CakeBlack Forest  Cake
Black Forest Cake

Oh yeah, best cake ever!


7th August 2007

I hate it when Finno disturbs the elves, he has a habit of doing that
11th August 2007

Yeah, I found Frankfurt to be a bit dry too. The nightlife isn't bad but it's one of the more dangerous cities in Germany.

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb