Something a bit more local


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Baden-Baden
June 12th 2009
Published: June 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

i spent the last 2 days staying in Baden-Baden. a resort type town by the black forest region. i went to a thermal bath, which was very relaxing, though expensive. then i walked around the city and went to a "natural" type zoo on the outskirts, though did not see too many animals. then i went to see the baden-baden philharmonic orchestra, which was nice.

Then i took a train to Stutgart, and went to the Mercedes Benz museum there. It had 8 floors of cars on display taking you through the centuries of MB.

In the evening i went on to Floersheim, a little town between frankfurt and mainz, with a very local hostel. the owner just bought the place from the old owners (one of the german men drinking next to me) and is turning it from a hotel to a hostel, he is originally russian, and told me a lot of interesting things to see in the area, i rode through some vineyards in the area and tried some local Riesling. the last couple days have been a nice change from the walk around city centers and has let me experience a more local germany.

Now i am sitting in my hostel (the only guest here on a bank holiday weekend) listening to 4 German men chatting with each other in german and drinking some beers. I am about to eat some shashlik that the new russian owner has just cooked. I feel like im finally "experiencing" something local, i guess i just had to book the only hostel that had availability on this bank holiday long weekend.

Advertisement



12th June 2009

German with Russian taste
It is nice to have experience with local people. This way you can feel culture and country. Not sure that shashlik is local german food - it sound like more Turkish or Georgian, but Riesling and beer are certainly German

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb