Lend Me an Ear


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 4th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Roman Amphitheatre in ArlesRoman Amphitheatre in ArlesRoman Amphitheatre in Arles

A massive structure that is in remarkably good condtion considering it's age.
Geo: 43.6768, 4.63031

By helping Julius Caesar defeat Marseilles, Arles enjoyed the imperial favour in the first century AD, and was made an important port city. Arles had the first bridge over the Rhone River and was an important stopover on the Via Domitia, the road that ran from Italy to Spain.

There are many important Roman ruins in the city, some of these being the Roman Arena (a big amphitheatre once used by gladiators), St Trophime Church (a 12th century Church with a large Roman style entrance) and the Theatre Antique (a open air theatre which held 10,000 people).

Bull fights still take place today on a regular basis in the amphitheatre.

It was only in 2008 that a full size bust of Julius Caesar was dredged from the river in Arles, the only impression carved during the lifetime of Julius Caesar that exists today. All other impressions of Julius Caesar were destroyed when he was assassinated, and Augustus became Caesar.

Vincent Van Gogh also spent a year in Arles painting. He painted one of most famous paintings from the Le Cafe La Nuit, the cafe where we ate dinner tonight. It was in Arles where Vincent chased his friend Paul Gauguin
Inscription of Julius Caesar in ArlesInscription of Julius Caesar in ArlesInscription of Julius Caesar in Arles

The inscription states CJCESAR and underneath is the words STA VIATOR. This means "stop traveller, thou treadest on a hero's dust".
(another famous painter) down the street holding a razor. Luckily Gauguin escaped and left town. That night Vincent cut off his earlobe and handed it to a prostitute friend named Rachel, asking her to "treasure this precious object".

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears" was also a famous quote by Mark Antony in Shakespeare's play "Julius Caesar".

We enjoyed walking the narrow cobblestone streets of this ancient town.

We are off to Aix-en-Provence tomorrow to pick up our car. From now it's just us driving everywhere. The Garmin GPS is worth it's weight in gold.

Jim and Kim






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

St Trophime's Church St Trophime's Church
St Trophime's Church

A very old and well preserved Church with a mix of Roman and Christian themes.
House in Arles House in Arles
House in Arles

One of the many picturesque houses in Arles.
Le Cafe La NuitLe Cafe La Nuit
Le Cafe La Nuit

Our dinner at the cafe.


5th July 2011

Hi Nanny and Papa,Thanks for the postcard. It came in the mail today. I liked looking at your photos. :)Have fun!Lots of love, Kaden xx

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb