Off to a popular farmers market


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 23rd 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8333, 0.21667

Today we traveled to the town of Sainte-Foy-la-Grande to attend their well known lively outdoor market. It was a nice place to experience french living and its wonderful produce. Some local specialties include foie gras, truffles, prunes and walnuts. We toured the market and picked up some local fruit before finding a place to have coffee. We then enjoyed a walk along the Dordogne River before stopping at a local bistro for a light lunch. The town has many historical homes and buildings dating back to the 12th century. It was a bastide town, built to provide protection from marauding armies of the English during the 100 Year War.

We then headed off for a drive through more of the beautiful backroads here in France. This Dordogne area has more than 1000 castles and manors scattered around its countryside. Our drive took us through some beautiful woodland areas before we came across a 11th century Castle of Gruson and the village of Carsac de Gurson. We finished our day in Villefranche de Lonchat where we enjoyed a cold beer. The village was beautifully decorated as it was preparing for a big street party happening the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



26th July 2016

Fantastic architecture and decorations!
28th July 2016

Beautiful. So many prints for canvas.
19th August 2016

What a lovely area - were you able to get back for the festival at the little town that was so beautifully decorated?

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb