Sunny Southern France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 31st 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.2983, 5.38322

First stop, Marseille. We woke around 8, enjoyed a buffet breakfast, and headed out to explore the city. It was a beautiful sunny day, not a cloud in the sky. What wasn't beautiful was 14€ each (return) for the shuttle from the ship to the city. With no option, we had to take it. We spent a few hours exploring on foot. The city is really pretty, with a Mediterranean feel, white stone buildings by the seaside with plenty of yachts docked. We were pleased to find entry to the cathedrals here was free, as we visited three. The first, and my favorite was the Les Cathedrales de la Major. It was grand, huge and ornate, with a large dome. The interior and stained glass windows took on a more pastel, soft colour than usual which was refreshing.
Cathedral number two, the smallest and to be fair more of a church than a cathedral. The Vielle Dieu Charite stands surrounded in an old square which used to be a hospital. The interior is old and simple, also featuring a large stone dome roof.
The final cathedral of the day didn't come easy. Towering over Marseille on a huge hill stands the Notre Dame De La Garde. The hike there was taxing, and had me sweating sunscreen, but the reward was worthy; a spectacular view of the city. You could see a spectacular island fortress not too far away. The basilica of the cathedral itself wasn't bad either, lined with gold, warm colours and hanging ships.
We wandered back along the water towards the coach to return to the ship.
We were back aboard by 1.30ish. First on the agenda, lunch. Seriously, the burger place called Guy's Burgers (by celebrity chef Guy Fieri), does a contender for best burgers ever. Beef patties with cheese and self service extra toppings; onion, mushrooms, sauces, jalapenos etc. So after one of those (and the fries aren't bad either), it was time to go play on the waterslides. We spent a while there. What awesome fun! The best waterslides Ive been on, really fast! There are two, a blue and green one, that entwine and where you can race. Between Nat and I, my size and weight generally have me at the bottom looking at my watch before she arrives. These are so fast, towards the bottom I cant breathe and am engulfed in water. Coming out the bottom means a tidal wave. The third slide the yellow one is a bit slower and longer. It actually goes outside the side of the ship. Half of it is in complete darkness.
After that, a game of pool, a cocktail on an outdoors bed and an afternoon rest. I'm watching live Premier League now in the room before we head out for an 'Elegant' (formal) dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb