Hill Towns of Luberon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 24th 2017
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Chris at the village of RoussillonChris at the village of RoussillonChris at the village of Roussillon

Village in the distance. We walked all over. Very steep. I think my calves will be burning tomorrow.
Geo: 42.5, 2.5

Today was fun filled and nonstop.

We had a nice breakfast at our hotel and then headed out quickly to start our adventures.

The plan was to drive (eeck) to Roussillan where we would:

Hike the Ochre Cliffs

Tour the quaint hill town

Shop the galleries and cute little shops

Check out the church

Have our other planned gourmet lunch at Chez David – Rick recommendation

After lunch we had other villages to visit. But back to our morning.

Our 3 GPSes said we should arrive in Roussillan by 10:38. Hah! They don't understand the French country road system. Thank God for our tiny car. Many supposedly 2 lane roads, but as soon as you lose the line down the middle of the road, you know you are in trouble. Plus, we had to drive through the town of Cavaillon, which we had to wind through downtown. One intersection had 5 different options. We had no idea which way to go. Of course we picked the wrong one. But our GPSes recalculated and it seems like no matter which direction you go in this countryside you can still end up in the same place.

Roussillan

We made it to Roussillan intact, but
View of the Ochre cliffsView of the Ochre cliffsView of the Ochre cliffs

Used to be a quarry, and millions of years ago was underwater. Fascinating landscape. Felt like super silky sand.
couldn't find the parking lot that Rick recommends. We accidently drove through at the heart of the City square – again little tiny steep roads. Turned around several times and finally found the Parking lot (with a WC). We hiked Cliffs of Ochre which was fascinating and gorgeous. This area was once quarried and was an industry for this small village. Now it is turned over to tourism.

After our hike we explored the village and did some shopping. I now understand what they mean by "hill town". We were constantly going up and down steep streets. We got our exercise today.

One big difference in the Provence area: hardly anyone speaks English. In Carcassonne, there was much more English spoken. Here in the Luberon area it is a challenge.

During our wanderings we met a group of Italians who “love America” They have been to NY, LA, Vegas, San Diego, San Francisco. Very well travelled. We saw another guy wandering around in a Chevy Chase like “beret.” Not sure what he was going for. We also met 2 sisters from LA travelling together.

Then, it was time for our gourmet lunch at Chez David. We were very excited. They had a lovely terrace and seated us near everyone else – not in a dark corner reserved for Americans. There wasn't the swarm of waiters we had at our Michelin experience, and they spoke a lot less English. Dot had the fixed price menu and I went a la carte, because I really wanted the chocolate dessert, of course. I will save the descriptions for the pictures below but it was very much an adventures. Most of the time we weren't sure what we were eating and they weren't able to explain it in English. Although good, we have become rather jaded and it couldn't compare to our Carcassonne restaurant with the Michelin star. Honestly the waiters seem puzzled every time they came to our table. I don't think they quite knew what to make of us, but I am not sure why?? Of course, there was a dog there. This French lady came strolling out to the terrace for lunch with her miniature greyhound walking right through the restaurant with her. I kind of wanted to give her my leftover steak, but I thought of Mary Ash and held back.

Julien Bridge

After lunch we headed for a nearby Roman Bridge
(Julien Bridge) a delicate 3-arched bridge that was named for Julius Caesar. It has been standing for 2,000 years. Construction was completed in 14 A.D. 215 feet long. In 2005 they closed it to motor vehicles and now it is used for pedestrians and bicycles. They didn't have mortar then, so it is all stone fitted together. I have no idea how it is still standing. There are holes in it so that when the river floods, it flows right through. Ingenious.

Lacoste

We moved on to the village of Lacoste. Another “hill” town – VERY steep. We had to park at the base and walk up the cobblestones. At the very top is a ruined castle where the Marquis de Sade lived for 30 years. This is where he hosted all his orgies. Fashion designer Pierre Cardin has restored the main level of the castle and he lives there now. I have pictures of the sculptures he has in his front yard. He also has a shop in the village, but we were afraid to go in. Pretty freaky. Picture of the window below.

Drive back to our little apartment. We stopped for gas on the way home. We are
experts now and were able to get gas without incident. Some of you have heard the stories from our last trip to France. Baguette, goat cheese and gouda for dinner. Perfect.

We did so much today and I have so many pictures. I uploaded a lot, but the wifi is so slow here it is only a few compared to what we have. Hope you enjoy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Our lunch spotOur lunch spot
Our lunch spot

if you look straight ahead, the building atop the cliff with the windows is where we will have lunch. They have a terrace facing the valley. Beautiful setting for a relaxing lunch.
Amuse BoucheAmuse Bouche
Amuse Bouche

We have no idea what this was. Totally lost in translation. two super thin slices of toast. There was a layer of something in the middle, a slightly fishy taste, but pleasant.
BarfBarf
Barf

This also came out complimentary. We had no idea what it was. I did not like it at all, but ate about half, washing it down with bread. When the waiter took it away I tried again to find out what it was. He said possibly pea soup. Gag!!! It was cold and on top was something orange and foamy that again had a mildly fish taste. Cold pureed peas topped with fish foam?
Dot's first course on the fixed price menuDot's first course on the fixed price menu
Dot's first course on the fixed price menu

Parmesan cheese shortbread, onions, pickles, vegetables with pistol and herb vinaigrette sauce. Right up her alley - thinly sliced veggies. she loved it.
Dot's second courseDot's second course
Dot's second course

Back of cod with citrus fruit roasted in olive oil, quinoa risotto with lemon, white butter sauce emulsified. The quinoa was hiding under the foam. They serve foam with a lot of dishes here in France. What's with the foam? They also gave her a weird looking butter knife with a notch in it. Wasn't sure what she was supposed to do with it. We were afraid there might be bones in the fish, but nope.
Chris main courseChris main course
Chris main course

Filet of beef in foamy butter, onions puree, vegetable chips, pan sautéed onions, light cooking juice Hello my sisters: much better? My filet was good. the veggie mush was OK. Dot really liked it. I would rather have had mashed potatoes.
Dot's DessertDot's Dessert
Dot's Dessert

Passion fruit meringue tartlet. This was a work of art and quite tasty. I could have eaten it. Very light and the flavors went well together.
My reason for livingMy reason for living
My reason for living

Guanaja chocolate cake, half cooked with lightly salted butter and caramel sauce. This was like a molten lava cake at home. Delicious. I came with mocha gelato. I would have preferred vanilla, of course, but I managed. This was the reason I had to order a la carte and not get the fixed price menu. Worth it.
Julien Bridge-Roman BridgeJulien Bridge-Roman Bridge
Julien Bridge-Roman Bridge

These pics are for you Kevin Blume. An amazing feat of engineering. Why are we constantly repairing and rebuilding our bridges when this one has stood for 2,000 years? It was pretty cool. Few more pictures because it was so cool. It's taking forever to upload these pics, but Kevin I have some of the bridge underneath for you when I get home.
Dot in front of the bridgeDot in front of the bridge
Dot in front of the bridge

215 feet long with 3 arches. finished in 14 A.D. I think it took 20-30 years to build.
Last pic of the bridge - different angleLast pic of the bridge - different angle
Last pic of the bridge - different angle

Sorry, but we enjoyed the bridge. You could walk all over it, under it, no restrictions. No fee. :)
Window shopping at Pierre CardinWindow shopping at Pierre Cardin
Window shopping at Pierre Cardin

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin lives in a castle in the village of Lacoste. I think he owns most of the village. I believe these are men's fashions. Anyone?
Climbing to the Castle in LacosteClimbing to the Castle in Lacoste
Climbing to the Castle in Lacoste

In the village of Lacoste we made a very steep climb up narrow cobblestone streets to get to the top where the ruined castle was. Cute little village.12,000 steps today, but I would love to know the elevation change.
Dot still climbingDot still climbing
Dot still climbing

Village of Lacoste. Rock walls reminded me of Ireland.
Front door of the castleFront door of the castle
Front door of the castle

I guess that's the profile of the Marquis de Sade. Door was locked, of course. I think that must be Pierre Cardin's front door. He had several modern art sculptures in front of the castle.
Better view of the castle ruinsBetter view of the castle ruins
Better view of the castle ruins

Not sure how someone is actually living in this thing. Supposedly he paid a fortune to shore up the foundation and just lives on the first floor.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

After our gourmet lunch we wanted something small for dinner. What's better than a baguette, goat cheese and gouda.


24th April 2017

Is that where the Yellow Ochre paint originated from?
24th April 2017

LOL love the description)
24th April 2017

unless there is running water and facilities--I am outta there
24th April 2017

Looks delicious!
24th April 2017

The beef looks good! The rest looks like weeds?
24th April 2017

You should have picked up something for Gary!
24th April 2017

Yummy!
24th April 2017

Looks good!
24th April 2017

Amazing!
25th April 2017

I'm surprised that an earthquake hasn't taken it down by now
25th April 2017

Incredible. Sometimes the simplest designs last the longest. I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere. Thanks for taking the pics and travel safe!Kevin
27th April 2017

Always a great choice!
27th April 2017

I've been there as well. Don't remember the metal silhouette though, that must be new,
27th April 2017

Ha! Love it!
27th April 2017

Anything that says chocolate!Christine M Keefe, CPA, CMPECFO, Metro Imaging314-333-6725Sent from my iPhone
27th April 2017

I feel like you keep ordering this dessert everywhere you go! Haha!
27th April 2017

Yum!
27th April 2017

That's a fish knife! Looks good!
27th April 2017

It was gross. Dot didn't even like I that muchChristine M Keefe, CPA, CMPECFO, Metro Imaging314-333-6725Sent from my iPhone
27th April 2017

I love Pea soup!
27th April 2017

Beautiful!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb