Pizza wine it ain't!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
September 25th 2015
Published: September 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We transferred to the Medoc region to complete our cycling tour and see one of the worlds most famous wine regions. Jean Phillip was eager to show of 4 of the 5 most prestigious chateau/wineries in the world. There is a complex tiered system (one that I never really did comprehend) to rate wine. "Grand Crü classe" is he highest level of winery and a lot of this region is rated that way as well as the Saint Emillion area. Sadly when we did our wine tasting and tour we were unable to answer the simplest of questions and the tour guide had to "dumb it down" for us.



Surprisingly the soil that produces the best wine is mostly rock and clay - with some limestone mixed in. The guide from the winery was flabbergasted when she showed us rocks and asked us to identify them. Ummm rocks? Limestone? Lava? Answer = gravel. Proving we were just as simple as she thought us to be.



Btw the wine we sampled here was terrible (so say 6 pizza wine connoisseurs) Don did buy 2 "old" wines, by old we had to ask what was ready NOW?



We had a very fast ride (Kevin leading the peloton again) on an extremely busy rode. It's a bit unsettling with big trucks and cars are flying by when you are gawking around at the scenery. Most of what we saw would fascinate a real wine connoisseur but sadly most of it was lost on us and we only wanted to move onto the tasting part of the program. We are Indeed an embarrassment to wine lovers everywhere.



We settled in for the night in a fabulous B&B and had our final meal with Jean Phillip and Yumi. They ordered some wonderful wine and we enjoyed wrapping up the cycling with food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb