The beginnings and endings of monarchies.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 24th 2012
Published: July 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, we caught the TGV and made our way to Reims. It only took 45 minutes to travel about 150 km (we’ll let you do the maths!). Our main focus was to see the Cathedral, as it was the place of the coronation of the kings of France. The cathedral was as spectacular as we thought it would be. One disappoint was that the cathedral was closed as it was Monday. We then went to the Basilica of Saint Remi, which was also a noted sighted.

Today, we went to the Basilica of Saint Denis, the place where many kings of France are buried. The basilica was one of the first French gothic buildings, and it was the model for Notre Dame de Paris. There were more tombs than you could shake a stick at. Among them are Clovis I, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. We then went to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur in Montmatre. We visited this basilica the last time we came here and it is as imposing as before. We walked the medieval backstreets of the area. After dinner, we strolled through the Tuileries Gardens, then headed back to our apartment along the banks of the Seine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb