RANDOM THOUGHTS AND MUSINGS


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 1st 2012
Published: May 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

May Day (Labor day in France)

Before I continue with my normal rambling, I thought that it would be a good idea to put down some thoughts about travel, cultural difference and the like. May day is a good example, in the US it is pretty much a non-event, yeah at Linfield where I went to college they make a big deal about it, with the coronation of the May King and Queen (I was first runner up for May king by the way, lost by one vote) and they have a big celebration. When we were kids of course we went from door to door with bouquets of flowers and knocked and run but that is the extent of the holiday. Here and elsewhere in the world I am sure, this is a day to celebrate the labor force, similar to what we do in September I guess, but here everything is actually closed, except maybe the odd restaurant here and there. This morning before we left we tried to get a pastry or croissant, but none of the boulangerie or patisserie were open. People were on the streets strolling about with out care, no parades, just enjoying a day off. Holidays are called free days here a day of no work no school just enjoy the day.

Another great example is the French people’s relationship to food. In the US we tend to just eat to eat except at a holiday when it becomes a big family affair. Here, food is more than just substances, it is an experience. Lunch is 2 hours, you linger you talk, you read a book, but most you are enjoying what you eat, not just wolfing it down and going back to work. Dinner is even more of an event. When the French go out, and in the cities they eat out a lot (if you have seen their kitchens you would know why) it is more than just eating, it is hard to explain you just have to experience it. No one rushes you, no waiter checks back 5 times to see if you are ok, it is just expected if it isn’t ok, you will let them know. And for the most part no one ever rushes you through your meal. Best of all, tipping is not expected, it just isn’t done. Sure you leave what ever change you get back after paying or round up your credit card bill, but 20% never happens here.

Religion and politics are different here, pretty much everyone is catholic so there isn’t a lot of religious heated debate (except Islam, they always seem to be less tolerated, even in France). The real difference is politics, people actually care, they really vote. We are here between rounds in the election for President. They are down to the final two candidates, the incumbent Sarcosse and the socialist, (I can’t recall his name). Everyone is talking about the election. When we had lunch in Dijon with the family whose kitchen I took the class in, they discussed politics the entire time, of course I didn’t understand a word, but I don’t think they were agreeing, but they weren’t afraid to have the conversation and didn’t get violent or argumentative about it. We all know that in the U.S., you don’t talk politics or religion when at a dinner party, not the rule here.

Regionally, there is a huge difference; Parisian’s are more like New Yorkers, but not as rude. Dijon is a huge university town so the crowd is young and vibrant. Lyon is the third largest city but you don’t get the big city feel like New York or Chicago but more like Portland. And now we are in Roquemare, just outside of Avignon. Small village in the middle of the Chateauneuf-du-pape wine region. The pace is slow, the people are more the friendly and you feel like you’re a million miles away from civilization.

In any event, I don’t understand people who are afraid to travel or just don’t. We have learned and experienced do much and we have not even been here a week yet. Yes we don’t own a house, and never will, but we have been to France, Spain, London, Italy, Thailand, Mexico, almost every state in the US, to me that is worth more than a house. You only live once and when we are finally just too old to travel, which better be the day I die, we will have memories that a house just can’t provide.

My final thought here is that I never realized how hard it was for me to really go on vacation. I mean really be disconnected from home and work. Everyday I have been here, I have either checked e-mail, texted someone for work reasons, or actually done work. Yes I am in France, but I still have to work. I guess that is the price I pay for being my own boss and having my own firm, with zero employees, but a true no contact vacation might be nice some day.

Finally, no one has made any comments on the blog, so maybe they are not as good as in the past, or you all have just gotten tired of reading about our travels. But your thoughts and comments are always appreciated and may even be posted to the blog for all to see.

Au avoir

Advertisement



2nd May 2012

Cool summary
Hi Chris - here in the US I have been too busy working and mothering to make a comment;-). I love this though! Really hits home and mirrors my experience and appreciation of the European culture!
3rd May 2012

comments, well...
You know I have almost as many opinions as you do. Do you want to open the floodgate? ahh, leisurely lunches. Why ate we Americans so rushed about everything? Can one ever tire of leisurely lunches w/ friends? (Books being some of the best friends ever.) I'm done with school and it feels like I have so much time on my hands. Time is such a luxury and as you suggest, better than any material possession. Time, friends and good food (wines a food group, right?) if we've got those then life has to be ok. Living vicariously, Rob
7th July 2012

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Alena Low Platelets Treatment
11th July 2012

I'm enjoying your blog... I think your "random thoughts" section quite interesting. Always like to hear how people react to a new experience, and as I'm just an armchair traveller right now, reading blogs gives me a taste of the world... so don't stop blogging!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb