Day Five Chenonceaux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 8th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast in BeauneBreakfast in BeauneBreakfast in Beaune

Beautiful breakfast room in Beaune.
Day Five: On to Chenonceaux

This morning after breakfast in the charming breakfast room, we said goodbye to Monique Chartier and headed for Chenonceaux. The GPS has a mind of her own. Gail decided to drive today because there was not much traffic and we were on A6 (Autobahn)…She did take the car over 100 mph, but cars were passing us as if we were standing still. We had to get off the main road which then took us through this little bitty one road- town, Courtnay. She made it through the tiny streets with much prayer and screaming. The GPS then said to “turn right.” There was no road only a small lane (very small) so she would not turn…and she ended up in a trucking company parking lot. Huge trucks were turning everywhere around us. Once we made it into the employee parking lot, Larry took over the driving. Of course, he then drove the car down the lane, (which made the GPS very happy, and Gail very mad). We finally made it to Chenonceaux!

Hotel La Roseraie is fantastic and Laurent and his lovely wife, Sophie, are wonderful. We walked around town and found a bakery
La Villa FleurieLa Villa FleurieLa Villa Fleurie

Our hotel in Beaune
for bread and pastry, a wine shop with cheese (as we were told it is cow cheese), we bought two wine glasses and had our first French picnic on the terrace of the hotel. As we were eating several Americans checked in and Gail was glad to speak English again. Laurent is a hoot, he told us all about the wonderful world of Socialism, 60% plus in taxes on everything and then even more taxes.

After working on our plans for the day and tomorrow we went down for dinner - what a treat a normal French country meal. We began with gizzard salad (Gail read on Rick Steves it was great - I thought it was fantastic, but Gail liked it OK), we then had steak and a chocolate mousse for dessert (see pix of course).

It is time to call the kids and do the blog plus make plans for Chateau viewing and wine tasting. Read the next insert tomorrow and then it is off to Paris………….



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Love this sign.Love this sign.
Love this sign.

Flunch Express. Did you think that means "French Lunch?"
Hotel la RoseraieHotel la Roseraie
Hotel la Roseraie

This is our beautiful hotel in Chenonceaux.
Garden in Chenonceaux.Garden in Chenonceaux.
Garden in Chenonceaux.

Hotel has beautiful gardens.
Flowers along the street.Flowers along the street.
Flowers along the street.

The flowers are incredible.
Hotel.Hotel.
Hotel.

My favorite!
Our first French picnic.Our first French picnic.
Our first French picnic.

Wine, bread, and cheese. The only thing missing is Chocolate!!!
Gizzard Salad.Gizzard Salad.
Gizzard Salad.

Gail read about this in Rick Steves. Very interesting. Had to try it.
Chocolate Mousse for dessert.Chocolate Mousse for dessert.
Chocolate Mousse for dessert.

This was wonderful...


8th October 2009

Desserts
I am gaining weight just looking at your photos. The French can't be beat in this category.
8th October 2009

Love this time of day to see where you have been. This is better then sliced bread. Larry - Ernie said, "Looks like Larry is just eating dessert and drinking". You both look wonderful. My gosh Gail the hair drier was to funny. Well you are having a blast and we (ME) going nuts! Redoing the kitchen and said to Ernie all this money when I could be on ship or having fun like the Vinson's. That is what I call spending money in the right places. Look forward to hearing from you on Friday. Be safe, Carol

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb