Day 51. of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Capvern les Baines to Lourdes. 23.4 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 4th 2021
Published: April 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Nous sommes arrivés à destination. 1216 miles in total.

Quite a grey morning with the odd burst of sunshine, but it was dry and not too windy. Our route was Hurst Green, Gallows Lane, Dinkley, Billington, Whalley, Mitton and home to a reception party from the neighbours and the house all trimmed up. Wonderful.

The first six miles, of our virtual journey, are a series of challenging hairpin bends as we cross a series of ridges and drop into valleys so characteristic of the area. After that there are several long climbs with the names of local Tour de France cyclists seen on the roads. Finally its along a flat valley bottom and into Lourdes.

Lourdes is known for the Sanctuaires Notre-Dame de Lourdes, a major Catholic pilgrimage site
The contemporary importance of Lourdes dates from 1858. In that year Bernadette Soubirous, a 14-year-old girl, had numerous visions of the Virgin Mary in the nearby Massabielle grotto. The visions were declared authentic by Pope Pius IX in 1862, and veneration of Mary as Our Lady of Lourdes was authorized. The underground spring in the grotto, revealed to Bernadette, was declared to have miraculous qualities, and Lourdes became a major pilgrimage centre. The basilica, built above the grotto in 1876, eventually became overcrowded by the increasing number of pilgrims, and in 1958 an immense prestressed concrete underground church, seating 20,000, was dedicated. Lourdes is visited by millions every year, and tourism plays a dominant role in the local economy.

1958 marked 100 years since the appearance of Our Lady of Lourdes and accounts for why so many baby girls born that year, obviously myself included, were named Bernadette.

So we have reached our journeys end. Huge thanks to all for words of encouragement and generous donations. So far we have raised in excess of £2500 but there is still time to donate. £15.90 will feed a child, in school, for a full year.

We are raising money for Mary's Meals, a charity dedicated to providing life changing meals to some
of the worlds poorest children. You can read more about their great work and perhaps donate to our
project via the link below.

https://giving.marysmeals.org/en_gb/projects/cin1-clitheroe-to-lourdes---virtually

Alternatively you can email us at cycle21lourdes@yahoo.com

Photos show views on route, view from our hotel room, the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary the grotto, candles lit with prayers for others and arriving at Lourdes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb