Day 41 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Sete to Bezieres. 24.4 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 25th 2021
Published: March 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Quite a nice morning with some sunshine. Our route was through Hurst Green, Longridge, Rock Brow, Chaigley and home.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Sete and cycling the first 15 km on the isthmus, right next to the Mediterranean before before turning inland at Marseillan Plage which is the southern entry point of the Canal du Midi.

The Canal du Midi is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a fascinating history. This 360 km network of waterways links the Mediterranean and the Atlantic through locks, bridges, and tunnels. It follows the curve of the Montagne Noire foothills, via aqueducts and more than 100 'ecluses' (locks), sometimes as many as nine in a row, as near Bezieres.

The rest of our journey is along the Canal du Midi and into Beziers. Although the cycling has been flat before this it has been out in the hot sun with no shade. The canal is lined with plane trees which provide shade and control evaporation.

Beziers is the birthplace of Pierre-Paul Riquet, founder of the Canal du Midi. Béziers combines its age-old architecture with the beauty of the Orb, Hérault's emblematic river. The Cathedral of St. Nazarius, built in the 13th century towers over the city. This Gothic fortress dominating the city is uniquely original and was built for the Catholic faith to assert its dominance over the Cathar heresy. Today it is the wine capital of Languedoc and wine tasting tops the agenda of most tourists.

Photos show Marseillan Plage, our hotel in Bezziers and Cathedrale of St. Nazarius from the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb