Day 35 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Baix to Pierrelatte. 21.6 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 19th 2021
Published: March 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Another decent morning with sunshine but cool heading into the breeze. Today's loop was through Waddington, Bashall Barn, Cowark, Middle Lee's, Leagram, Chipping and home via Chaigley and the Pigeries.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Baix and again heading south along the banks of the Rhone to Pierrelatte. Pierrelatte seems to have two claims to fame:

Firstly, since the 1980s it hosts one of the biggest production plants of the enriched uranium existing in the world, used both for civil and military purposes.

Secondly, it has the "Ferme aux crocodiles". La Ferme aux crocodiles is a French zoological park mainly devoted to crocodilians. It consists of a tropical greenhouse of 8,000 m 2 and an outdoor course of 4,000 m 2 , where one can observe twelve of the twenty-three species of crocodilians recorded in the world but also various aquamates. , tropical birds and fish . It is home to four species native to France: the spectacle caiman and the green Anaconda , present in Guyana , as well as the European pond turtle and the cattle egret , present in mainland France. In addition to its tourist aspect, this farm, created in 1994 actively participates in the conservation and protection of species.

Pierrelatte is home to the only other really dire hotel we have stayed in. Luckily it was only for one night and it was only a short walk into town for food.

Photos show crocodile farm sign and a ViaRhona sign. All 2011

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb