Day 32 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Roussillen to Tournon sur Rhone.25 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 16th 2021
Published: March 16th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Wow, this afternoon we had gorgeous sunshine and it was much less windy. Our route was Cow Ark, past Marl Hill, Newton, Dunsop Bridge, Whitewell and home via Cow Ark and Bashall Eaves. So a little hillier than some routes but lovely scenery.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Roussillon and continuing on the ViaRhona southwards.This ViaRhôna stage alternates terraced vineyards and orchards. The Rhône is used to irrigate the land , with agricultural land alternating with arboriculture, market gardening and vine-yards .

Tournon sur Rhone is a very busy picturesque tourist spot. It stands opposite the Tain-l'Hermitage vineyards and is overlooked by the outline of the imposing 10th, 15th and 16th century Castle. The bridge between Tournon sur Rhône and Tain l'Hermitage, built in 1849 by engineer Marc Seguin, was the first suspension bridge with iron cables and is listed as a historic monument. This fabulous wooden bridge is for pedestrians and cyclists only. The Tain-l'Hermitage vineyards are famous for the production of AOCs Crozes-Hermitage, Hermitage, Saint-Joseph and Cornas.

Photos show a bridge across Rhone 2009, a view down the Rhone 2011 and standing on the historic suspension bridge looking up at the Tain l'Hermitage vine-yards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb