Day 31 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Vienne to Roussillon. 21.1 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 15th 2021
Published: March 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

A much better day weatherwise. Much less wind and some sunny intervals. Today's loop was Chatburn, Rimington, Gisburn, Bolton by Bowland, Sawley, Chatburn and a loop of Salt Hill and Clitheroe. Great to see quite a few other cyclists, we know, out too.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Vienne and continuing on the ViaRhona close to the Rhone. From Vienne we pass through terraced vineyards, including the prestigious Côte-Rôtie. The vineyards of the Côte-Rôtie are unique because of the steep slopes facing the river and their stone walls. The Syrah vines on its steep, southeast-facing slopes produce wines which are both powerful and elegant. Improvements in quality have led to increases in demand for the wines – a cycle which turned so consistently that Côte Rôtie wines are now some of France's most sought-after and most expensive. Just south of Vienne we also pass by the Île du Beurre nature reserve, renowned for wildlife and bird watching activities. We also start to see the first orchards of the Rhône valley.

Roussillon is a very small town on the banks of the Rhone.

Photos show the Cote-Rotie vine-yards and a view of the River Rhone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb