France on L Plates


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 9th 2015
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.9688, 2.43242

Off to Dover where we went for a walk around the white cliffs of Dover with a Castle view and of course the white cliffs. Dam wind was messing my hair. After a lovely time we dropped Dave at the Train Station for his return to finish his job of painting his daughters place in London, with a plan to catch up somewhere in SE Asia.

Finally found the place to purchase a Ferry ticket and then off to France.

Ferry ride was good, Lisa sat watching a rather loud fat man push food into his face, nearly the whole way across.. ate like shrek,.. apparently he liked chicken, and was not bothered by her staring at all.

Ferry arrived, doors opened and out we shot out almost straight onto the motorway where the limit is 130km/hr with gale force side winds on the opposite side of the road which was a little confronting. Headed straight North and camped the night in a place called Bergues which is a walled city… (BTW we had a small whoopsy(no harm done as we all missed each other)… Sorry mister French Man we promise to stay to the correct side of the road from now on)(in a nut shell I shit myself and I think he did as well)(managed to recover with elegance). Bergues was amazingly interesting, canals, and fort walls and we can say this with much certainty as the walls surrounding the city are designed to keep invaders out and Aussie tourists in. We went round and round a seemingly endless maze of one way street, canal bridges and dodgy roundabouts. Our Karma has been taking a further battering as they have zebra crossings just before intersections and it would seem from the mouthful of French that came out of the nice French lady's mouth that we are supposed to give way to pedestrians. Little do they know that we are flat out working out which way to go, on what side of the road and whom to give way to far less adding pedestrians striding into the road without notice into the mix.

Advertisement



10th June 2015

Woohoo you have now truly started your big adventure!!!! Can't wait for the stories to start unfolding! I can imagine the words coming from your vehicle to BB! Stay safet! x
10th June 2015

Well the adventure has begun!! Let the fun start! Bloody tourists just keep on the right side and watch out for 'things' coming from the left!!!!!! Xx
10th June 2015

Bloody pedestrians. Who do they think they are?!?!?Have fun, be safe. xx
11th June 2015

You'd better be prepared, the place is full of French! ;-)
11th June 2015

I think the phrase you need to practice is "Excuse moi. Je suis d?sol?" Bon courage! Alex
11th June 2015

great news that all is well and on your way we are all busy this end of to see sue new house
15th June 2015

Hey Lisa, Happy birthday for today. Hope you have had a good one xxx
15th June 2015

happy birthday waiting for your call love mum xx

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb