Juno Beach and Mont St. Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy
July 16th 2014
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The next morning, we were ready to embark on the next leg of our journey with our own set of wheels, a Volkswagen minivan. After a day filled with relaxation and lots of travel we arrived in our next destination, Caen.

With an early start to the day, we set off to one of the destinations on our must see list, Juno Beach. It felt like we had one foot back home when we entered the Beach's visitor centre. The museum itself was interesting and informative, we learned a lot. After participating in a guided tour of the bunker and stronghold on the site and walking the sands of Juno Beach, we were all humbled by what had occurred on that beach just 70 years before.

When we pulled up to our home for the night, we were surprised by what we first saw. The proprietor led us through an overgrown trail, which opened into a clearing filled with a collection of grass-roofed huts. We learned that they were eco-friendly dwellings built and designed by our host himself.

That evening we walked through town, had a nice dinner, and then continued our walk towards Mont St. Michel. Mont St. Michel was a place of religious homage, perched imposingly on a cliff. It is surrounded by a village packed tightly within its walls, and bordered by the sea on all sides but for a small land bridge connecting it to the mainland. The layout and structure of the abbey made for some stunning views and photo opportunities in the setting sun. We made it back to the hotel under the cover of night. By the time we had finished touring the abbey and surrounding village we took a shuttle halfway back and then strolled along the river path until finally arriving at our eco-village. Getting to see the lights shining upon the spires of the abbey was incredibly satisfying way to complete our day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb