Normandy


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy
June 2nd 2008
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Le Mont St. Michel Le Mont St. Michel Le Mont St. Michel

Le Mont St. Michel is the most photographed subject in France.
Leaving Brittany, I encounter the magnificent Mont St. Michel. Continuing east, I headed for the beaches of D-Day. I passed through Ste-Mere-Eglise with its famous chapel from which a U.S. Army parachutist dangled on D-Day. Now, they have an effigy of a U.S. paratrooper dangling from the steeple.

The D-Day beaches and the U.S. Cemetary near Omaha Beach were something I wanted to see. There really are no words I can contrive to give any semblance of a description. I was impressed by the amount of French school children on school field trips to the sites. Despite of our differences, the French have not forgotten the price of their freedom.

I continue eastward to the Cote d’Albatre, where I found a hotel for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Distant ViewDistant View
Distant View

Viewed from the north, Mont St. Michel is but a bump on the horizon.
Chapel at Ste-Mere-EgliseChapel at Ste-Mere-Eglise
Chapel at Ste-Mere-Eglise

Ste-Mere-Eglise with its famous chapel from which a U.S. Army parachutist dangled on D-Day.
Utah BeachUtah Beach
Utah Beach

The tide was in so it doesn’t resemble the pictures from 1944.
More Utah BeachMore Utah Beach
More Utah Beach

The sand bank on Utah Beach that protected so many soldiers from enemy guns on that fateful day.
A VeteranA Veteran
A Veteran

An aging veteran makes his way among the sites.
Pointe du HocPointe du Hoc
Pointe du Hoc

The cliffs viewed from Pointe du Hoc, scaled by the U.S. 2nd Ranger Battalion on June 4th, 1944.
Omaha BeachOmaha Beach
Omaha Beach

Where armies once clashed, today children bathe on Omaha Beach, next to a sculpture dedicated to peace.
U.S. CemetaryU.S. Cemetary
U.S. Cemetary

There are no words to describe it, so I won't try.
The Falaise d'AvalThe Falaise d'Aval
The Falaise d'Aval

The Cote d’Albatre, the alabaster coast, which resemble the white cliffs of dover across the channel.


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb