Rouen & Giverny - 6 - 8th August


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Rouen
August 6th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ROUEN - One of Rouen's claims to fame is that Joan of Arc was tried for heresy and burned at the stake in the central square (Place du Vieux Marche) in 1431. The futuristic 'Eglise Jeanne d'Arc' with its fishscale exteriour and stark cast-iron cross marks the site where Joan died.

Rue du Gros Horloge - This main street is spanned by an early-16th-centuary gatehouse and the "Gros Horloge", a large one-handed medieval clock.

Palais de Justice - This ornate palace is located on "Place Marechal le Fock", a stone's throw from my hotel.

Cathedrale Notre Dame - The towering cathedral has a sparkling white French-Gothic facade and was the subject of a series of canvases by Claude Monet. At nightfall there is a free spectacle, "Monet aux Pixels", during which light is projected onto the cathedral facade to illustrate the different effects of light and colour that Monet was so fascinated by.

GIVERNY - is a tiny countryside village 66km southeast of Rouen. To get there you have to take the train to the town of Verdon and then catch a shuttle bus the rest of the way to Giverny. The town is famous for the fact that Claude Monet lived here from 1883 until he died in 1926, in a rambling house surrounded by flower-filled gardens. There is also a tiny church behind which you can view Monet's grave.

You can enter Monet's pastel-pink house and wander in the gardens, including the "Jardin d'Eau" (Water Garden). This is where Monet created the artifical Lily Pond which was the subject of his "Nympheas" (Water Lilies) series. The gardens at Giverny are absolutely beautiful and have a different display according to the season. Many of the houses are picture-perfect with manicured, flowered gardens, or else rambling medieval cottages. There are many little interesting shops such as souvenir shops and antique shops and also several art gallaries.

The only detraction from this pretty village are the hordes of tourists and tour groups which descend on it every day and the clanging of the cash register at the souvenir shops.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Artist - GivernyArtist - Giverny
Artist - Giverny

This poor dog was helping his master paint a canvas on the sidewalk even though he had terrible cataracts in both his eyes.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb