World War II and the D-Day Beaches


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Connelles
October 19th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

With a husband who loves WWII history, of course our trip has had several visits to World War II locations. One of our first days in Europe was to visit the Anne Frank House. While in Berlin we spent time at the Reichstadt, Brandenburg Gate, Check-point Charlie, and the many memorials. Later we visited Terezin in Czech Republic and the Jewish Ghetto. Of course while we were in the Munich area, we spent time at Dachau. Later that week we were in southern Bavaria and saw Eagle's Nest (Hitler's country getaway and the documentation center at Ober-Salzburg. A week or so later we were in south Belgium and stayed in Bastogne, learning more about the Battle of the Bulge.

This Monday was spent at the Beach (D-Day Beaches to be exact). We headed out to the west of Normandy past Caen and started our day at St. Mere Eglise. This area was made world famous on June 6, 1945. We first visited the Museum of the Airborne. This is a small museum that highlights the work of the airborne paratroopers and their landing on the night of June 5th and the early morning of June 6th. It is incredible the impact that this whole area has on the visitor so many years later. There were several children visiting with their parents and to see the wide-eyed expressions and questions that they asked...

We drove the coast seeing Utah, Omaha, and Gold beaches. Gary & I decided that in order for a history buff to properly visit this area you would need to spend several (read that 7+) days to properly see the museums and the beaches. We had one day so we did the one museum and drove part of the beaches - stopping to take pictures - then visited the American cemetery above Omaha Beach. There is a memorial/museum to visit that includes a short movie, some memorabilia and recordings from survivors, locals, and stories of courage.

To say we were moved by this day is an understatement. Everyone who finds themselves in this area should take the time to visit. That time is well presented and each stop adds to the clear explanation for those of us too young to have lived this part of history. One of the maps at the cemetery made me proud to be an American. It showed the important part that US troops played in stopping Hitler and the Nazi war machine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



22nd October 2010

pictures
I don't know about anybody else, but for us, the pictures are all black. Are taking pictures with the lens cap on?

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb