St Malo to Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes
September 29th 2019
Published: September 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 28th September Rest day.

As we went down to breakfast there were some cyclists setting off "A Ventoux " they said. We wished them luck. (We later found out they were on ebikes). Breakfast was quite simple but adequate and there were the gluten free crackers for me and lots of milky coffee. It was leisurely as we were not going anywhere in a hurry. There was a large relief map on the wall and this again confirmed we had chosen the harder route yesterday.

After a 'washing' session we had a wander around Sault. There was much more life to it than last night but it was a much smaller town than we had expected. It was quite touristy with lots of gifts shops and every now and then there would a strong smell of lavender. Also there was lots of honey for sale. Lavender honey is one of the most potent symbols of Provence, the region's aromas and tastes captured in a jar.

There were lots of cyclists around, probably mainly preparing to climb Ventoux. After wandering we a had a coffee at the Esplanade cafe bar which was by far the busiest place and we could sit in the sun and look across to Ventoux. Then it was back to the hotel and looking at the route for the next few days mainly with regard to finding eating places in the evening considering how much we have been struggling particularly at the beginning of the week.

As there only appeared to be two options for an evening meal and one of those was last night's Pizza restaurant we decided to have a main meal at lunch time. So it was back to the Esplanade which was very busy now with cyclists and motorbikers. I had spaghetti bolognaise and Paul had a hamburger and chips. We talked for a few minutes to a young Irish guy who had been up Ventoux twice already and was going to go for a third time after his meal. He said it was incredibly cold at the top and he had had to put several layers on and stop at a cafe on the way down for a hot coffee.

In the evening we went back to the Pizza place and shared a pizza and Paul had some chips . As we had had a main meal at lunch time we didn't want too much. Paul had a beer and I had a hot chocolate because we were sat outside but it wasn't over warm.



Sault is a health resort at 776m high.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb