Maybe Italy....but probably still France!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Val Thorens
January 1st 2011
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

1/1/11...What a cool, cool date to write. Not only is it cool for that fact and the first day of the year, but also because today was Mykenzie’s 3rd birthday. She started great by letting us have a sleep in, which was very welcome and after breakfast it was an easy transition into ski school. The previously days hadn’t gone very well with lots of tears. But today was different. She walked straight in without a backwards glance. It may have had something to do with the fact that she had a beautiful birthday dress (loaned to us by Kate) on over the top of her ski outfit and she thought she looked wonderful, like a fairy in fact. I’m not an expert but I don’t think there would be a lot of kids going into ski school with ski parka and pants on, underneath a beautiful party dress. I think there are going to be a lot of “firsts’” with our girl Mykenzie. She is truly a character and a diva and although she already knows how to push our buttons, she also gives us so many wonderful hours of enjoyment and entertainment. She is a gorgeous girl and we love her enormously.

Another milestone for me is that I stopped breast feeding Edyn today. That may not sound like much but for all the mummy’s out there you would know it’s a big thing. I was so happy to be able to feed her for 12 months and now it was time to finish. It was a funny feeling knowing that I was never going to do it again but it was also the right time. It all went very well and my littlest girl took it all in her stride!

The chalet was slow to get started today but Jas and I were keen to get skiing. So after a false coffee break in the village of Val Thorens, the third of the beautiful valleys, we skied all the way to the extreme right of the trail map to the resort to Orelle. We like to believe this resort is in Italy and we’re not game to ask anyone for fear of them telling us that it is, in fact still in France! It was a massive ski over, through Les Menuires, through Val Thorens, up gondolas, down bumps, up cable cars, down shutes, so it was a big day of skiing. Then we meet up with Brett, Lans, James and Sonia for one last ski down.

On our last run down, we came across of bunch of kids sitting on the side of the run having a snack. Imagine our surprise when we saw our little princess in her party frock amongst the kids. How wonderful, that on her 3rd birthday Mykenzie got to ski down a proper ski run all the way from the gondola. She was the youngest kid in the class so the instructors were very impressed with how well she was doing. We were just the proudest parents on the mountain and watching her ski down we both had a little moment of shear joy.

After handing our skis back which was a little sad, knowing the week was coming to an end, we went back to the chalet for Mykenize’s birthday cake. This time it was a marble chocolate chalet cake which was made Mykenzie's eyes light up. Our last meal, although delicious was a subdued one. We were about to part ways with our best mates and we didn’t know when we would be together again.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb