London to Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
April 26th 2011
Published: April 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we left London where people everywhere are preparing for the Royal Wedding. Street parties are being planned and the flags and bunting are going up. But before we leave there is just one last task, to get a new sim card for the phone so we are now in touch with the world (at a cost).
Now for the big decision. Should we leave Northwood for Terminal 5 via London by train at some ridiculous hour and costing a vast amount of money or leave at 12:45pm by private car costing 25 pounds and get there within 30 minutes. It was a no brainer.
So we said farewell to Joanne, assuring her we would be back at the end of August, and we were on our way. The rest of the journey was very straight forward. We noticed on our itinerary it said, “Premium Economy”. Unfortunately there was a misprint on the boarding pass and it said, “21A & 21B”. It was great looking down on the French countryside thinking that over the coming months we would be driving over much of it.
Arrival at Lyon was the usual scrum at passport control then pick up the bags and head off to the Rhonexpress, a speedy little train that connects the airport with the city. After a short walk we were at the hotel ready for a sleep, having gained an hour because of the time change. Our room looks out over the railway, a short distance from the station. TGV after TGV pass by with a collection of suburban and regional trains as well as the occasional goods train. Earplugs are the traveller’s most essential requirement.
And so to bed.


Advertisement



30th April 2011
Preparing for the big party

Wedding
Oh dear! We were so sure you were going to the wedding, lol.
3rd May 2011

The Wedding!
No fear we got out before the place went crazy. The chaps putting up the flags were great to chat with and quite keen to get themselves on our blog. Hope all is well and the rents you are collecting are going into our travel fund. Having a great time especially in this part of France - a place to die for.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb