More quaint villages


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Crest-Voland
July 26th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Enter HereEnter HereEnter Here

In the olden days someone sat on the side of this mountain and said, Hey let's carve a hole though the mountain, maybe there will be a village just on the other side.
Today we went Crest, a small village that is famous for the Crest Tower which boasts the highest keep (think medieval castle) in all of France. Unfortunately, when we got there, Lori had some urgent business to take care of (sitting in the centre ville at a terrace listening to live jazz and reading her book) so the rest went way way way waaaaaayyyyyyyy up the stairs and enjoyed the view.

We were lucky to arrive in Crest on a market day, so we wandered around all of the various stalls (cheese, meat, seafood, baked goods, olives, lavender, fresh pastas, nougat,more cheese, goat cheese, honey products, tons of fresh produce, cheese and more!)

We bought some local dried sausage, and a bunch of baked goodies (sablés, homme suisse, dame blanche, pain). All yummy and not as sweet as Canadian baked goodies (which makes you feel less guilty eating them (all of them).

After Nigel and the kids came down from the tower, we continued on our way to another village called Bourdeaux (not to be confused with the City of or region of Bordeaux). We had our lunch here on the banks of a small river and then
Lavender fields foreverLavender fields foreverLavender fields forever

We rolled down our windows and drove slowly every time we passed a field of lavender. Smells so good!
walked around the town. The tourist information centre was closed for lunch (closed at 12:30 and re-opening at 3pm - must be nice) so we found our own way around, reading historical plaques.

Today's drive was very picturesque, off the main highways. We saw many fields of lavender which smelled amazing. We drove along many twisty roads again with 180 degree switchbacks up the big hills.

One thing we notice with the French that is so stereo-typical is that upon meeting a friend in the streets, there is always what we call the triple-kiss. Also, almost everyone is carrying a baguette all the time (or a couple). Nigel's theory is that the baguette is to fend off anyone who goes in for a fourth kiss.

The women here dress very nicely, no shorts and t-shirts to be seen. We've even seen dresses and heels on some hilly walking paths. Like at the Tour, there were actually women there walking around in heels! Crazy but fashionable.

When we got home, Nigel went for a solo outing to the Crussols Castle located right here in St-Peray. He rode his bike there which turned out to be a serious
Crest from on highCrest from on highCrest from on high

A view of Crest from about half-way up the climb to "le Tour de Crest"
workout as he basically rode and then hiked uphill for 1 hr 26m (round-trip). Upon arrival at the castle, he wandered around some dangerous trails that often ended in dead ends with 400ft drop-offs. He felt Lori had made a good decision to pass on this one (but Nigel loved it). She enjoyed his excursion through the modern technology of video and photos. This was a castle built around the 400's and had been originally inhabited by the Duke and Duchess with the family name Crussols. They lived there for a few centuries and then when the family married into another family called the Uzès, they abandoned this castle and moved the the Uzès' castle. Crussols' castle has been vacant ever since. It was not just a castle but really an entire community at the top of the mountain.

Nigel here...what a ride up to Crussols. I borrowed Regis' mountain bike which is too small for me (celui qui était dans la remise Regis). Three of the cars that passed me as they came down the switchbacks actually rolled down their windows and giggled at the sight of me. It was steep. I was on the smallest chain-ring on
The centre of BourdeauxThe centre of BourdeauxThe centre of Bourdeaux

This is the the epicentre of activity in the little village of Bourdeaux in Provence.
the front and even then sweat was literally spraying and dripping off me (gotta lay of the brie & bottle every night I guess). I must have looked like a fat clown on a miniature bike at the circus, peddling a mile-a-minute in the lowest gear but only moving up at inches. It was steep enough at one point that the front wheel kept lifting off the road and if I hadn't leaned out over the handlebars I would have peeled off backward down the hill. What a thrill. I got to the top eventually. I couldn't find the defibrillator station so had to just rest, and then continue with the hike up to the castle. Saw no bikers go up. Nor any come down. And nobody with a bike at the top. I guess it's just not done except by over-sized tourists on under-sized bikes. Ha ha.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Crest TowerCrest Tower
Crest Tower

The view from down below about half-way up the climb to the tower.
Crussols CastleCrussols Castle
Crussols Castle

The castle was built in the 400s and abandoned after the Crussols married the Uzes for a more comfortable castle.


26th July 2011

Hill, Mountains, bikes and more hills
I think I have lost about 5 lbs (2.3 kilos) just by reading about your hikes & bike rides.....I'm actually sweating right now!
27th July 2011

sweating
Hey Elke! We already know it doesn't take much for you to sweat! Glad you are enjoying the blogs! Lori
27th July 2011

Every day you make me smile !
We're really enjoying your trip vicariously and look forward to my chuckle every day from all your humourous comments........sounds like you're really visiting lots of interesting places and getting to see the real countryside and how they live............have fun and enjoy that wine!!!!......love Mom
28th July 2011

Smiles
Glad you're enjoying the blog! We're off to the beach today!

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb