Day 14 - Annecy-Le-Vieux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Rhône-Alpes » Annecy-le-Vieux
July 3rd 2016
Published: July 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I think everyone was waiting at breakfast to see the outcome of last nights incidents. Turns out the noisy one was greeted with a good morning by one of the crew and said no it's not, bloody hangover. Probably can't remember what happened...

Much more discussion about what happened then we are onto a bus early as we have about 1.5 hrs to drive to our first destination. We are heading into the Alpes area near the Swiss border to an old Abbey called Abbey de Hautcombes. Motorway for the most of the trip but then we get into the backstreets. Tiny roads for 3 big buses to travel along and some of the villages were tiny as well. Nice last a it as we climbed the hills. Finally got there and this abbey is on the shore of Lake Bourget, supposedly the largest lake in France.

Postcard views of the Alps around the green lake. Lots of boat traffic as well. Interesting church tour then we get to walk down to the lake and look back on the Abbey. Very scenic and relaxing. Off again, this time our destination is Annecy. Never heard of it. Today we are having lunch out at the Imperial Hotel in Annecy. We drive down towards the lake by even narrower roads. There is lots of cars having to pull over to allow us past but eventually make it down without any scratches or dents.

Drive around the lake, even prettier at lake level. Eventually get to the outskirts of Annecy and the traffic is stopped. Being a Sunday and also starting to warm up nicely, every man and his dog were going to, or through this town. It took us almost an hour to travel about 4 or 5 km to the lunch place. We eventually got off our bus and walked the last little bit.

This hotel is huge and sits on a peninsula of Lake Annecy. Stunning views again, and the hotel reminded us of a real British style of old hotel. had lunch then we were meant to get back on the bus and do a walking tour of the old town. Not for us. 5 of us decided to walk back around the lake and catch up with the bus at our designated meeting spot. Map provided with instructions of where and when to meet. Away we go.

The views of the alps, the lake and just the feel of the place was amazing. We couldn't stop talking about the serenity, the views, the fact that so many people were using the facilities, etc. really pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Wandered lazily around then found the old town and had a quick look. Not much different to every other old town we have visited lately so decided to sit and have a drink. This also meant we could use their toilets. Nice but getting annoyed with little fruit flies buzzing around us. Back to the bus on time and away to the ship.

Many sleeping heads on the bus and then back for a delayed dinner. Cleaned up and down for the port talk. Gunter (the tour director) comes in and I notice that the Captain is also in the lounge tonight. Hmm..

Gunter starts by "making a remark" (his words). He starts of by talking about the incidents of last night and proceeds to say that if are issues again like that then he, the captain or the bar manager will turn off all alcohol. The target of the comments sat very quietly, no names were dropped, but the message got well and truly delivered. Tonight's entertainment was a lot different and he sat very quietly through it. Bit of dancing and laughing then ended up on the roof. France were playing Iceland in the Euro cup and all of a sudden the streets erupted. Every car on the road was blowing their horns, cheering, etc. France are now into the semi finals so we have a happy captain and a different interesting end to this night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb