Milano to Carcasonne France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
August 3rd 2014
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

1000 After Milano we had an overnight stop at Draguignan. High over the city our room had a beautiful view. The following day we are finally going to stay at Carcasonne. We have been close a few times but never visited the city of the Unesco world heritage fortress. Our stay will be in a B&B which is in a walking distance of the Le Cite as they call it. On we went over tracks one car wide between the grapes. The road was terrible. Away from everything with rooms made into a sort of side barn. We reused to except this reason of miss representation of the rooms. So her3e we were nowhere to sleep. We asked at a wine cellar who directed us to an industrial area, where we found a very comfortable stay. Phoei . That was a whisker away from sleeping in the car., because this is a huge tourist town and it is holiday in Europe. The history of Carcasonne goes back to 1000 BC. From than it went through many owners from Kings, Crusaders and religious occupiers who each that their own changes and rebuilds. External it looks like huge fairy castle. It is beautiful. Inside it, is one continues shop, restaurants so very difficult photos, to take photos. Some of the castle that goes back to the 3rd century which are the Gallo roman ramparts and still for us to see and enjoy. The Basilica of Saint Nazaire is from the 11th to 14th century and the Rose stained windows are from those times. The large well dates from the 14th century and legends has it that a treasure is hidden there. Although after Archaeogical digs in 1910 nothing was found. Maybe they should have another go with all the modern equipment there is now. The main entrée into the Citee is through the Narbonnaise gate, build around 1280. This day was a lot of walking but very rewarding regarding what we all have seen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.515s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb