Day 21 Castellane to Pont du Loup 39 miles


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Castellane D4085, D2211 To Malamaire,D2 to Greolieres,D2, D3 to Pont du Loup

There was thick fog when we woke in the Gorge at Castellane this morning but by the time we had finished breakfast the tops of the cliffs were showing & the sun was through.

Leaving Castellane two long climbs took us to 1175mts to a long meadow- filled plateau. The first climb took us to the Col de Luens which is a false summit,the road then descended for a short twisty 2k before climbing a further 3k to the top of the second Col .We were happy that that we had conquered the highest climb of the day, no more climbing until Cocknowle! Then on it was a gradual descent to the valley floor where meadows & fields were farmed .It was lovely to see the livestock once more. We passed various clusters of houses & farmsteads which dot the valley. It was difficult to realise we were still at around 1000 mt high, virtually the same height as Snowdon, for the next 20k.

The road started to descend gradually when we passed the entrance to Greolieres les Neiges the closest ski resort to the sea in the whole of France.

5k before reaching Greolieres the road started to descend dramatically plunging us into a gorge giving us ten minutes of ,apparently, the most dramatic cycling in the whole of France. The road clinging to the rock face with the Loup river valley over 400mts below. The road snaked downwards through a series of small tunnels blasted through the rock.My brakes were burning on the way down ,it wasn't for the faint hearted. Gusts of wind around each corner threatening to blow me over the edge. The legs were definitely wobbly. Peugeot use this section of road with its twisty sweeping left & right handers with its amazing rock formations for their TV adverts.

The descent continued for the next 12 miles with minimal pedalling to the Gorge du Loup passing dramatic waterfalls & splash pools for bathing.Now the air was distinctly warmer after the cold air of the mountains. Arriving at our penultimate destination a lovely Auberge in Pont du Loup only 18 miles from Nice. Whoopeeee.

We are staying here for two night so you have a rest from the blog tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



1st June 2014

No comparison!
Brilliant you two, we've loved every minute, every km and every blog - thank you for sharing your adventures with us. Tomorrow we leave for a short 5-day trip to France with the bikes on the back of the car plus a small tent for the wet weather!! No comparison with you epic journey - truly impressive. Look forward to catching up when you're back home.

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb