Bruges


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Saint-Raphael » Brugge
December 28th 2007
Published: September 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.2094, 3.22523

What a lovely city. We arrived in Bruges to a very warm welcome from the woman we were renting a room from, Tine. This place is just outside the main town which made it very easy to park the Egg. It is technically a B&B because she comes and makes breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. It is an apartment with two bedrooms (one with a queen bed and one with two twin beds) each with their own bathrooms. There is a fully equipped kitchen, a living area and a small courtyard. She rents the bedrooms separately so you may have to share the place but we lucked out and had the place to ourselves. It would be great for a family or a group of three or four. Her website is http://tinesguesthouse.com/ We highly recommend her.

We trekked around Bruges for a few days. The Christmas market was still going on in Market Square so it was a bit crazy. They had booths selling mostly food and drink but also some local wares. There was an ice skating rink and kiddie rides.

We visited all of the local pubs offering a wonderful variety of beers. We also popped into a few shops specializing in the country's beverage of choice only to find that they did not compare to Draken Geers.

The other country specialty is chocolate. My area of expertise. On a recommendation we stopped at Dumon.... YUM. You can't imagine the number of chocolate shops. Some had the most amazing displays in the window all made of chocolate. Heaven!

So we went into a couple of churches but didn't take any photos because they never turn out. But we did get to see supposed chunks of the the cross that Jesus was crucified on and one of the churches had Jesus' blood on display. It was under several layers of glass and guarded by a priest who polished the glass after every viewing. Steve went up and had a look.... he said it looked like dried blood under glass, huh.

So when in Belgium aside from the beer and chocolate one must partake in some mussels. We called Tine for some advice and she directed us to a place. They were very good but the service was a bit lacking. As it turns out our waitress threw away our order....opps. So we waited quite a while just to get our drinks.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about Tine's was that there are four bicycles available for use. What a great idea!

We very much enjoyed our time in Bruges and will definitely go back. Belgium is such a wonderful country full of yummies and very friendly people. And because of how close it is I am sure we will visit again soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb