The Gem of Belgium


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are not really in Brugge right now but we spent all day there and like it better than where we are now so that is why I put it as our location.

Ah, Belgium....what to say. Waffles, beer, chocolate, beer, cobblestone streets, and did I mention beer? We spent the day in three churches, two tea rooms and a brewery.

In the churches we witnessed a mass at Basiliek van het Helig Bloed where supposedly they have a vial of the blood of Christ, we were treated to a beautiful Bach fuge during the warm up session of an organist at Sint Salvatorskathedraal and saw Michelangelo's "Madonna and Child" at The Church of Our Lady.

In the tea rooms we had about 10 pounds of chocolate and pasteries, Katherine had, "The Best Hot Chocolate EVER!" and I had a Belgian ale, Leffe Blonde. I guess that we are continuing the beer and hot chocolate tasting.

We spent an hour touring De Halve Maan Brouwerij and learned how Belgian Ale was made throughout the centuries and how it is made today. The tour guide kept calling me "Arnold" because he knew we were from California and my abs are looking pretty darn good. At the end, we were treated to a world famous Brugse Zot ale. But it was not just any Brugse Zot ale, it was unfiltered, which they only serve at the brewery in Brugge. I must say it was one of the best things I have ever tasted.

We came to a joint decision that Brugge is our favorite city in Belgium so far but everything here is expensive. We met a really nice old couple that sold lithographs and watercolor paintings of Brugge and they gave us a recommendation for a really good, "moderately priced" place to eat. We were so excited because we had the "locals" give us insight into a local place to eat. So we went to the "moderately priced" deal only to find that the cheapest thing on the whole menu was 22 euro ($30)! So much for moderate. We left and bought a 5 euro sandwich.

Tomorrow is Brussels the Grand Place. Can't wait.

Chet


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th July 2007

Chhhhhhocolate...
Oh Kat, that is exactly what I would be doing in Europe!! American chocolate doesn't compare. Enjoy some for me:) Love you!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb