And even MORE friends and fun!


Advertisement
Published: September 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Family PommiesThe Family PommiesThe Family Pommies

Kevin, Chrystelle, Jean-Clement, Me, Eloise
Our next adventure was to visit friends in two places - Miradoux in Gers, and St Cyr sur Mer, near La Ciotat on the coast. As we had been to both these areas before, it was more about getting caught up with friends. Eloise Pommies, Jean-Clement's and Chrystelle's lovely daughter, had just turned 21 and had come to visit so we brought her a bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne for her birthday. Kevin has been checking prices ever since the purchase at the winery and found 30€ there about the best. It was lovely to see her and to see what a lovely lady she has become since we met them nine years ago.

Every time we come in to see the family Pommies they have a new house they are living in. Jean Clement loves to remodel. We think someday he wants to own everything in Miradoux. Since last year, the house I was lusting after has gone on the market....€45000. But everything needs to be done inside. I haven't enclosed a photo because I don't want you to be jealous.

That weekend was the Lectoure Melon Festival, and as they were having go-cart races on Saturday, off
Jean-Clement's Plum TreeJean-Clement's Plum TreeJean-Clement's Plum Tree

Kevin admiring the size of Jean-Clement's plums.
we went to watch for about an hour. This resembles the Russell Birdman festival, in that various go-cart designs are made up, then raced down a not-too-steep course. It was fun to watch and there were a couple of clever carts. That night was our big dinner out with the family Pommies, at the Hotel Bastard in Lectoure (http://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/hotel-de-bastard-4135) . It was a feast from start to finish, with champagne and various wines. All the food was delicious, and it was a lovely way to spend the evening with Jean-Clement, Chrystelle and Eloise, and say thank you for their wonderful hospitality. We were off Sunday, but not before a lunch on their garden veranda of magret de canard (duck breast). The first time I had this, it was cooked by Chrystelle and she didn't fail this time either. She is a wonderful cook! And she makes it all look so easy....so, after lunch it was au revoir, and on to the next venue, a night outside of Beziers.

Kevin had found us a bed and breakfast called Aux Pots Bleus in the small town of Nissan-lez-Enserunes, just outside of Beziers. (http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/aux-pots-bleus.en-gb.html?aid=357012;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-fr-auxNpotsNbleus-unspec-gr-tab-L%3Aen-O%3Aunk-B%3Aunk-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX;sid=668c4f0ba674c3636a536eec183849a3;dcid=1;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&) From the outside, it was very modest, but
At the FestivalAt the FestivalAt the Festival

This was a tent. I thought this one was very clever, but there were others as good.
the building was built in the 1800s and had high ceilings and wonderful rooms. The owners were very friendly and delightful, and recommended a lovely hotel, Hotel Residence, for dinner in town that night. It met our expectations!

Onward the next morning to Jean Noel and Marie Gide's lovely villa in St Cyr sur Mer. We had been here before, so it was like returning home, and visiting with the Gides is always a delight. Jean Noel loves to do the French equivalent of tiki-touring and so we were shown a couple of new treasures. Along with dinner every night on their patio, watching the sun go down, we went for a lovely meal in La Ciotat, the largest town near them. On our way to the restaurant, Jean Noel took us for a view of the calanques of Marseilles, coves with lovely beaches that are very difficult to get to. It was sunset, so a couple of nice photos were taken by Kevin. I didn't get that close to the edge.

Friday involved a visit to the local marche with Marie, something I always love doing. I was able to pick up some of those lovely mini
Las Bastard AperatifLas Bastard AperatifLas Bastard Aperatif

This was marinated garlic and foie gras au caramel
saucissons that I buy in the supermarket, but these were much less expensive. And, since I was rationing them, they were able to last.

Before leaving, I managed to break their washing machine by doing something stupid. We tried to convince them to come visit us in New Zealand for Kevin's next Bouilliabaise day. I told Marie she could come and break any appliance she wanted! I felt so bad.....but there's always a room for them so we hope they will take us up on a visit.

It is always sad to say goodbye to friends, but we are now on to our last stop in France before leaving for Greece - Ensues Le Redonne. A bientot!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Then came a soupThen came a soup
Then came a soup

Cream of Lobster with Cepes
My foie grasMy foie gras
My foie gras

I definitely prefer it cooked, or sauteed...
Raspberry MeringueRaspberry Meringue
Raspberry Meringue

Doesn't this look good?
France's Nuclear PlantFrance's Nuclear Plant
France's Nuclear Plant

One of them. In some of the most beautiful and historic part of French countryside. We called it Three Mile Island.
A BIG thank you!A BIG thank you!
A BIG thank you!

Our final lunch, and a regular spot for dinner. What's not to like?
The GidesThe Gides
The Gides

Marie, Kevin and Jean-Noel. The view we had every morning and every evening...rough, huh?
An example of a calanqueAn example of a calanque
An example of a calanque

This is the calanque near our friends' house. Not shown, on the left, is a little beach.
The Cave of Mary MagdelineThe Cave of Mary Magdeline
The Cave of Mary Magdeline

This is the last time I walk uphill 2 KM, both directions, to see any religious monument.
Cafe RoyaleCafe Royale
Cafe Royale

Kevin had never ordered one before, and was pleasantly surprised by all the ways the coffee flavor could be incorporated into a dessert.


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb