AVIGNON to NICE


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
May 20th 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Avignon to Nice


Avignon to NiceAvignon to NiceAvignon to Nice

There were many photo opportunities but too few places to pull over!
AVIGNON to NICE 20th May 2007 (Sunday Sunshine and 26º)

We check out of the Central Hotel. I go and pick the car up form the long-term car park and do three laps of Avignon trying to find my way back to the Hotel to pick up Deb and our bags.

Onto the Auto Route and heading SE following signs to Marseilles. We veer towards Nice and are gob smacked by the traffic heading the other way. Where are they all going? (It is only later that we realise that it is Sunday and that this is the only major road between Avignon and Marseille, Nice etc.)

We slip off the big road at St Raphael as this is the start of the Cote D’Azur. The drive is memorable for the views of little bays and beaches dotted with yachts and cruisers. Lots of cash in these here parts.

Cruise into Cannes (yes into Cannes) and there is some sort of Film Festival on. Who would have guessed?

So far on our little jaunt we have encountered:
· Lleida - Saints Day Celebration
· Avignon - Annual Wine Fete
· Cannes - the Cannes Film Festival.
Strrrrrrrrrrrrretch LimoStrrrrrrrrrrrrretch LimoStrrrrrrrrrrrrretch Limo

I said I wanted a Hummer 20 metres long. This one is only 19 - send it back!


We have also endured Public Holidays for:
· May Day
· V-day
· Ascension Thursday
· Scouts Bob-a-Job day and
· Doggy Do Sunday

OK so I made the last few up - but gee - the French put us to shame in the Public Holiday stakes.

Arrive in Nice to be told that we may find it hard to locate accommodation. “Porqoui?” (“Why?”) We ask. Well says the overworked clerk there is the Cannes Film Festival on 50 kms in that direction and a Motor Race (Monte Carlo Grand Prix) on 50 kms in the other direction. Both hitting full speed at the same time. Boy can we pick em!

We find a lovely room at the Hotel La Fayette and head down to the Nice beachfront for dinner.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Canne Film FestivalCanne Film Festival
Canne Film Festival

If you look closely you will note there are no celebrities in this photo!
Hotel La Fayette - NiceHotel La Fayette - Nice
Hotel La Fayette - Nice

Great Hotel with a good outlook in Central Nice.
Nice is nice!Nice is nice!
Nice is nice!

Nice beachfront at night.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb