Fast Cars and Casinos


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
August 27th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we say Ciao to Italy and bonjoir to Monte Carlo and France. We made our way out of Montacatini and headed over, under and through the mountains. We passed through over 180 tunnels and over dozens of highway bridges. This would have to be the most costly stretch of highway in Italy!

Our first stop was at Pisa - home of the leaning tower. It definitely has a nasty lean! We sent about an hour at Pisa taking photos and having lunch. It is pretty crazy to think that the tower had more of a lean than it currently has but was adjusted several years ago and stabilised. It looks like it could fall over now!

We arrived in Monte Carlo in time for afternoon tea. Monte Carlo is another candidate for the smallest country (scraping in behind the Vatican City). The city is a tax haven for the rich and famous as it offer some of the lowest tax rates in the world. An interesting fact is that the ruling family actually marched into the walled city dressed as monks. The small army was fleeing from another army and easily conquered Monte Carlo after it was inside and has lived their ever since.

The city oozes wealth and is kept in immaculate condition. The main streets are lined with Ferrari’s, Porsches and Rolls Royce’s and the sides doted with Casino’s. We quickly made our separate way from the rest of the tour group and explored the sights. The Casino Royal was first where we blew a measly 5 Euro (the exchange rate is pretty bad at the moment!) and used the free toilets. Next we made our way past the dozens of flash cars to the main beach. There was even yellow and black Ferrari’s (apparently your first Ferrari is always red…)

On our way we noticed a small bush fire on the side of a cliff in the distance. About half an hour later their was three small aircraft flying overhead dumping dyed water on the flames. Check out the photos!

When we arrived at the beach we kicked off our thongs and waded through the crystal clear water. The beach was made of small pebbles (1-2mm diameter) which acts as a filter to keep the water clean. Several large yachts were cruising on the horizon - if I was a gazillionaire I would definitely spend part of my life here!

We then made our way to the harbour to check out the yachts. Yet another example of copious amounts of cash - these toys were huge. We managed to snap a photo of us on board (via the mirrored windows!)

After we arrived in Nice we spent the rest of the day at the internet café sending emails and finishing bloggs. Tomorrow we have a day off from the fast pace of touring to sunbake at the beach. Cant wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pisa MugsPisa Mugs
Pisa Mugs

You can never fill them to the top.


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb