Week holiday in Nice, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
July 25th 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We spent a week in Nice, France as a family. Another cheap/short flight from Geneva. We then caught the tram into Nice town and found our apartment in the old town of Nice. It was crowded which we were expecting and still experiencing the heat wave, but luckily it wasn't as hot as other parts of Europe. We walked up Castle Hill near our house, we wanted to catch the elevator but we thought it opened at 10am not 9am. Murray and the girls went later in the week to go on the ancient lift. It was beautiful up the top, with sweeping views of Nice old town and the beach. There is a beautiful waterfall at the top, which we figured out we could actually see from near our apartment.

We enjoyed swimming at the local beach, despite the stones on the beach. Unfortunately, Charlotte got stung by a jellyfish. Luckily, the lifeguards nearby had cream to help with the stinging. The beaches were very clean and rubbish boats with big nets came and picked up any rubbish in the water. The beach was very busy with lots of people and boats/para-sailers/waterskiiers, paddleboarders, etc. Unfortunately, Murray then got stung by a jellyfish. The kids saw the jellyfish with purple spots.

We did lots of shopping in Nice in the old town and new. It had a really nice vibe walking around and people were generally nice.

We did a day trip to Monaco, catching the train up in the heat which was not fun. We spent most of our time at the Aquarium, looking at surprisingly a huge variety of jellyfish. Also turtles on a balcony overlooking the ocean, which was breathtaking. It was an unbelievable hot day and we got told off for trying to sit under a tree, apparently you can't sit on the grass in this particular park.

We also did a day trip to Juan les pins near Antibes. A very beautiful, sandy beach, that was very crowded. We were enjoying a lovely swim when Emma got stung by a jellyfish. We enjoyed an ice cream and dinner and then went back on the train to Nice. Much less crowded on the train that direction from Nice.

Our last full day we thought we would try our local beach again, at this point we had 4 separate jellyfish stings with only Hayley and I jellyfish-sting-free. It was a windy day and when we went to the beach no one was really in the water. The kids and Murray headed in, only to kind of stop in the shallows. As they did our beach neighbours started fishing out jellyfish with a net they had bought with them. After the 6th jellyfish in 10 minutes we realized today was not the day for swimming. Hayley and I were very keen to keep our clean record. So we headed into the fountains in town and Murray jumped in with the kids. They were having a lovely time, when 3 policemen came into the park and started talking to men in the fountain. I was thinking, maybe Murray's swimsuit was too long or something. Turns out, he needed wear his shirt, in the fountain. We struggle with the logic of it, so he put his shirt on and went and played with the kids and got completely soaked. Go figure.

Our flight was delayed, but thankfully not cancelled. While we were flying home and hoping to make it before the midnight closure of the Geneva airport, the airport closed due to bad weather. So we hung out in the sky, waiting to see if we needed to land in Lyon, France and then catch a bus. Thankfully we didn't, but it made for an interesting landing, with lightening and thunder as we flew in.

We are now happily home and keen to be at home after a busy summer holidays so far. We definitely took advantage of the easyjet sales and have enjoyed seeing more of Europe. But for now, we are very happy to chill at home and go swimming in the Lake when the weather allows.

Take care,

Miriam


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb