Europa Day 22


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 22

Just broke the 3 week barrier today. And what a great win by Melbourne last night. Messages from lots and emails today after my photo of me in my Melbourne shirt...

Oh well, back to mundane things like touring again. Later start today - sleep in then a late breakfast - still available at our B&B so that was nice. The German and Croatian couples were leaving today so we had a very pleasant chat with them at breakfast. Turns out that I was well covered if the was a any medical conditions. The Croatians were a Cardiologist and a Radiologist while one of the Germans was an Anathiesiologist and his wife was a Tax lawyer.......

Spoke to Stephanie and John and Jan via Skype as well - Viber has gone west...... Nice to catch up on local information and news.

Finally off to a place called Les Baux de Provence where they have caves and a Roman fortress city to explore. The caves have a light and sound show of Van Gogh and Gaugin paintings shown on the walls of the limestone quarry caves. Not sure what to expect but get over 300% on whatever we thought it might be....

As we approach the area we climb a mountain and ge to the top and stop and get out of the car to have a good look. Wow........ We look down and across into the town and at the Chateau (fort). This is built on top of a huge rock hill and commands the area from all sides.

Where we have stopped is just past a rock that has effectively been split and carved for the road - looks like someone has cut a clean slice out of it.

We drop down into the caves and go in. The area we were in was huge and had walls about 10 meters high. Onto every wall they projected the paintings in scenes that sort of came alive accompanied with great music to match each scene. We stood and watched the show twice it was so good. Cool inside but that didn't matter. Finally left for the Chateau as they call it - and yes, on a hill as usual.

Get in and the place is even grander up close. We do the audiolog bit again and learn all about the ancient roman days of catapults, etc. The place is a maze of rooms, ways of gathering water and purifying it, etc. and still standing many centuries later.

Drive back via back roads and find a town called St-Remy-de-Provence that seems to have lots of restaurants and tourists. Found out later it was the last place that Van Gogh lived before he died in a mental asylum nearby. People come to do the walks around his last house, asylum and other bits. We do a walk after tea and in a little street find the birth house of Nostradamus - wonder if he could have predicted that one......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.393s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb