Day 10 - Chateauneuf-du-Pape


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Chateauneuf-du-Pape last night. Our mooring is 3km from the town and this morning we have free time. Some rode bikes but they also had a mini bus doing shuttle trips. Not a lot to see in town other than an old chateau on the hill (ruins) and lots and lots of wine dealers. This area grows and makes a very nice red which is tightly controlled in how it can be grow, picked and then bottled.

We walked up to the chateau, which was rather steep but great views when you made it to the top. Looking down at the vineyards and crop fields it was very pretty.

Back to the ship for lunch then off to our organised winery tour which also took us back into town and to the chateau again. This time we got dropped off at the top and walked down to the town. Much easier. Off to our winery for tastings. Started with a white (which isn't exported) then a rose and finally one of their reds. Not too shabby. Heard how they can't/don't water their vines and how they spread river rocks between all their vines. The rocks gather the heat of the day and then warm the vines overnight. Very crafty.

Back to the ship and dinner. Same group as last night, but this time the girls were a little more reserved. Finished up having drinks on the front deck and then we set sail to our next port of call. They had to lower everything again to get under another low low bridge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb