French Riviera II


Advertisement
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

French Riviera II


Monday 11th October 2010

The forecast rain arrived in the early hours this morning and had largely subsided by 0830 when we came to. Breakfast was delivered to the van door in the form of fresh bread, croissants and pain au chocolat and shortly after we settled our bill with reception ( a very reasonable 60 Euros for 3 nights all in ) and set off towards Cannes. Traffic was heavy using the local roads and if it is this bad in October I’ll give the summer here a miss. After Cannes the traffic eased and we took the scenic Massif de Esterel to Frejus and from there onto Cavalaire sur Mer where we found the campsite de la Baie close to the town and harbour.



Tuesday 12th October 2010

With France on strike protesting about an increase in retirement age all was rather quiet in the lovely resort town of Cavalaire sur Mer. After exploring the harbour and shops we walked along the promenade and back, In the small tourist information pavilion we learnt about Roman discoveries in the area particularly amphora from ship wrecks. A short film showed a modern potter recreating the method by which these huge storage vessels were made - history lesson done. After lunch we settled at the poolside pleased to find the jacuzzis were in operation and nicely heated too!

Wednesday 13th October 2010

Wednesday is market day in Cavalaire sur Mer and we took a walk down to see what was on offer.
We found a sizable market with lots of goodies available and returned with Tapenade and fresh figs. The former went down well however the texture of the figs was not to J&B’s liking but at least they tried them. Again we settled poolside after lunch not quite believing this is mid October.

Thursday 14th October 2010

Up and off to St Tropez today about half an hour by local bus. We headed for the harbour where we found recent storms at sea had brought thousands of jelly fish inshore. After strolling past some serious sailing kit we picked up some bread, meat and cheese and took a boat trip around the bay. The captain pointed out the homes of the rich and famous including Brigitte Bardot’s who still spends the summer here. In the harbour a yacht called the secret life was for hire at 100,000 Euros a week and recently used by Leonardo di Caprio. On our return to the harbour we strolled through the narrow streets of the old town past chic stores and restaurants back to the main square and on to the bus terminus for our ride home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



19th October 2010
Cavalaire I

Cavalaire
Ah this brings back memories, we went on holiday here when we were children. :o))

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0859s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb