Roman ruins and exiled popes


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Avignon
August 16th 2012
Published: August 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday, we left Carcassonne for Nimes. When we arrived, we set out to explore the city. Our first stop was the Roman Arena. It is a smaller version of the Colosseum in Rome, but apparently it is the most intact in Europe. The entry fee included an audioguide, which gave information at 19 stations. However, at each point, it explained the history of the arena briefly and then continued with a gladiatorial story, which went on at infinitum. It nearly drove us mad! We then went to La Tour Magna, another Roman monument that gave us great views of the city. The final stop for the afternoon was the Maison Carrée, which is an intact Roman temple, dedicated to Caesar Augustus. That evening we discovered a light and sound show, which included waterworks in time with music from different fountains. It was spectacular!

On Monday, we went to Avignon. On the way there, we stopped at Pont du Gard. It is a remaining section of a Roman aqueduct. Avignon was the day’s highlight. We were truly impressed with the Papal Palace because of its grandeur and its history. We then crossed the Pont d’Avignon. Who wants to walk across half a bridge for 4 euros, even if it is 15th century.

The next day we left for Le-Puy-en-Velay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th August 2012

:)
There's nothing worse than a dodgy audio guide.......!!!
17th August 2012

:)
There's nothing worse than a dodgy audio guide.......!!!

Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb