Les Boisset - Avignon TGV to Grindelwald


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The TGV to LyonThe TGV to LyonThe TGV to Lyon

Almost missed the shot. The TGV leaves frequently running from Nice to Dijon or Paris. It travels at 180kph approx
We left Les Boisset early since we had been warned about the large Market Day in Apt plus holiday makers heading both north and south making the roads very busy. As it turned out it wasn't that bad and we arrived in super-time. Figuring out the Avignon TGV station wasn't exactly intuitive. It is a brand new futuristic setup just for the TGV line. The lines have fast trains coming and going on a regular basis and it sure does beat travelling by plane with all its checkin's and delays. You can see why populated countries choose to build bullet trains or dedicated lines for fast travel.

So it was goodbye to our good friends and a great week with them, and hello to several hours on trains. Because the trains were so full we had to go 1st Class so the seats were very comfy. The train went directly to Lyon at a speed of 180kph approx. Cars banked up on roads were left sitting as we sped on our way north. At Lyon we had a shambles of an experience trying to figure out where the next train left from. The station was packed with people everywhere. It
"Home" to Grindelwald"Home" to Grindelwald"Home" to Grindelwald

Uf dr Ofni where we will spend our last two days in Switzerland. We have so many memories of this town and this house.
has no set platform schedule so you have to watch the screen to see what platform trains are running from. It wouldn't do with the Swissies! The next train wasn't as fast but was quick and direct to Geneva. The route the trains took was not as scenic as the route we took south with the car a week ago. Immediately we crossed the border with Switzerland the whole feel and look of the landscape changed. Suddenly order and neatness seemed to prevail. You wouldn't think it possible without experiencing it. Different cultures, different priorites it would seem.

In Geneva we changed trains to one heading for Bern, then another for Interlaken and another for Grindelwald. There wasn't time in between to get food for the evening so we ate out in Grindelwald on our arrival - a fantastic meal of rosti and sausage with onion sauce. It sounds ordinary but it tasted soooo good. We finally got 'home' at 10.30pm. It feels like home too. Even the Swiss German sounded gentle and familiar; and people polite and smiling. We'd better go home to NZ before we're enticed to stay longer............ What did I say about this being the last time???

Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb