Our Week in Provence (Avignon, Cassis, Pont du Gard)


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Avignon, Cassis, Pont du Gard


Cassis PortCassis PortCassis Port

An idyllic old fishing village that transforms into a resort town in the summer.
Today we leave the South and return to Paris for a day and a half before we return to the US. Blogging has been light while we've been in the south because we've had so much fun relaxing and soaking up the Midi sun.

Some highlights of our time in Provence include:

1) A trip to Cassis, a small fishing/beach village about 20 km east of Marseille. Cassis is known for the beautiful coves, or calanques, that mark the coast. We took a boat ride to see the inlets dug into the chalk cliffs over millions of years. In the 1980s, a diver found underwater caves in this area that bore the markings of prehistoric man! Drive time from Avignon - about 2 hours, depending on how lost you get. It's probably better to take the A7 to Aix-en-Provence and then drop down to the coast in order to avoid Marseille.

2) Pont du Gard, the famous Roman aqueduct. We spent a whole day on the grounds here, and it was well worth it. About 25 km northeast of Avignon, this is a quick drive through some beautiful wine country. It costs 15 euro per car to spend
L'VueL'VueL'Vue

A view from our boat of the most famous calanque. We plan to return sometime to hike to these beautiful coves.
the day at the UNESCO monument and surrounding park. Most visitors contain themselves to the most famous part of the aqueduct, but we explored some trails that take you along more run-down sections of the 50 km long engineering marvel. A so-so museum filled with too many school groups does do a good job at explaining the history of the aqueduct - how long it was in use, what led to its eventual abandonment, and why people decided to preserve what remains.

3) Our innkeepers, Francois and Paco. A wonderful couple who took up the task of owning and renovating a B&B four years ago, the two shared wine with us as we talked French politics one evening on the terrace.

Our stay in Provence has been very relaxed, and we leave the region wishing to return again soon to explore more of what the area has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Moon RiseMoon Rise
Moon Rise

The moon rose during our port-side dinner of bouillabaisse.
The Famous PontThe Famous Pont
The Famous Pont

From the rive gauche (left bank).
Aqueduct RuinsAqueduct Ruins
Aqueduct Ruins

Centuries of neglect and pilfering of rocks left most of the aqueduct crumbling.


31st May 2010

Loved the Pont de Gard
Didn't realize it was illegal so I jumped in upriver and swam underneath. Was pretty awe inspiring. Glad you guys are having a great time. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb