Arles to Avignon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Arles
October 18th 2017
Published: October 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We tootled off down the Boulevard to the info centre & collected a 'pass' that will get us into 3 monuments & 2 museums €24.
Made our way through the Mercredi (Wednesday) Markets. Everything from clothing, linen, kitchen items, fresh vegetables, meat, pizzas, bread......set up under the tree lined street with Autumn leaves dropping everywhere. We stocked ourselves up with some nice tomatoes, grapes, dried ginger, cranberries... We could be anywhere in the world here..
Wandered back through the centre of town. Through the old hospital courtyard. I still get lost... I remember the Venetians in Venice did that on purpose to confuse the enemy. Think the Chinese do this too with their small corridors... but I am here on friendly terms! I just have to remember to say 'merci' not 'grazie'. Which brings me to another observation, with all the cosmopoliton changes this is one country that will not tolerate losing it's language.
The girls at the train 'billet' (ticket) office had a giggle at our attempts to speak french. I suppose it does sound funny especially with a kiwi accent! They did appreciate us trying and it was all positive.
Armed with billet we set off on the train to Avignon, half an hour trip. First stop Avignon so we couldn't get that wrong. Once the papal city & still within fortified walls. A University city & definitely a tourist city. We spent 3 hours in the historical part scattered with lovely shops & cafes & restaurants all over the footpaths....have to remember the french invented alfresco dining.
Home on the 15.41 train, first stop Arles & the gratuite circut bus to our side of town. The land between Avignon to Arles is quite arid & rocky & then of course you reach the Camargue on the other side which is quite the opposite.
Definitely deserved that glass of red tonight!

From 1309 to 1377, it was the seat of the Catholic popes. It remained under papal rule until becoming part of France in 1791. This legacy can be seen in the massive Palais des Papes (Palace of Popes).


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb