Provence


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are on the road again. this time we have headed to Millau to drive across the famous Millau bridge which goes across the Tarn river and valley. It really is the most handsome of bridges or viaducts. It was quite a drive to get there that after a little explore of the town we decided to stay the night. There was the promise of a huge market the next day. the town itself is quite high up. In fact you climb to 830 metres. The town is in the valley. Quite a wealthy area manly sheep and grapes. We spent the afternoon exploring the town.
that night we had a wonderful dinner at a tiny little restaurant that just specialized in the local cuisine. The proprietor was quite chatty and was very keen on the world cup and the NZ rugby players that had come to the area. The Millau area is rugby country .
the next morning we headed out to view what was on offer at the market. Well the place was jammed packed with very kind of stall you could imagine. You could buy anything from cars, beds food, clothes and the most amazing weapons. Most of the traders appeared to travel from one village to another. There was mounds of rubbish but if you needed tools or fishing rods you could probably get yourself a bargain.
After an hour or two we headed off to Aix en Provence for the night as we were now keen to get to Italy. The town itself is very prosperous and is home to a large university. The main theme of the town appeared to be fountains as they were in very little square and street roundabout. We visited a tapestry exhibition which was in the most amazing old building. the stairs were very grand. Dinner that night was one of the not so good dinners in France!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Millau townMillau town
Millau town

The local laundry about 300 years ago.
Millau townMillau town
Millau town

Millau is very famous for making gloves.
Millau townMillau town
Millau town

Market day
Millau townMillau town
Millau town

Nougat (sp) was very popular at the market and very delicious.
Millau townMillau town
Millau town

Yes these are candles!
millau townmillau town
millau town

Not something you expect to see at a local market!
Millau BridgeMillau Bridge
Millau Bridge

Me driving across the bridge.
Millau BridgeMillau Bridge
Millau Bridge

A view from the car window.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb