Cooking Lesson au Chateau


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Albert Albert Albert

Albert choosing the Dorade we would have for lunch.
Getting the fish was the first thing Albert wanted to do, so the Fishmonger could be cleaning them while we continued shopping. Albert is pointing to the Dorade he chose for lunch.Tuesday began early with a target departure time of 7:30 AM. This was because we were meeting our Chef in downtown Aix-en-Provence at 9:00 AM or so and it was about an hour away, rush hour, parking, you get the idea.

We made it right on time and walked to the Tourist Bureau where we were to meet and in about 10 minutes, not one chef showed up, but 2 chefs! Our head Chef du Jour was Albert Ughetto. He has many years of experience in France, Aruba, Costa Rica and most recently Florida, where he recently sold his restaurant and returned to France for some new inspiration. With him was a long time friend of his named Robert (pronounced Ro-ber) who is a trained pastry chef. So we got 2 chefs for the price of one!

The first order of business was to go to the market and get the food we were going to prepare, so off we went to the market. It was a nice
Market PicMarket PicMarket Pic

Here is a photo of Bruce, West and Teresa at the market in Aix-en-Provence.
walk and Aix-en-Provence is a great town in it's own right, so this was a nice bonus. As you can see from the photos, we got to see (and smell) all kinds of things. While it was not a huge market, it had everything you could want, including several incredible fish stands.

I didn't see him do it, but Albert somehow donned a white Chef jacket before we reached the market. I think this must have gotten him some special treatment or pricing at the market.

One lesson we learned there was how to smell berries to find out which ones were the best. You can see Albert giving Teresa a private lesson in the photo, but it is true, the berries do smell different.

Bruce and I left with Albert in his car and everyone else went in the van and we headed to the Chateau de Clapier in Mirabeau where we planned to make lunch. You can read more about the Chateau and the region by visiting the following web site.

http://www.chateau-de-clapier.com/index.asp

When we first arrived, Albert went to the kitchen to prep the lamb he planned to roast and he put that
Market PicMarket PicMarket Pic

Here is Albert and Robert choosing berries we would have for dessert.
in the oven while we went on a brief tour of the wine cellar in the Chateau. Then we met Albert and Robert in the oversized kitchen and everyone who wanted to particpate was handed an apron and the fun began. I decided to film most of the process and will post that on a separate blog once I figure out how to digitize my tape in the right format.

There were lots of things going on in both the main kitchen with Albert in the lead there and the smaller kitchen where Robert was busy with his pastry lesson.

We all had a great time watching and helping in the kitchen and there were so many different dishes going on, it was just great. They served us the Chateau's wine during the lesson and lunch, including a white, a rose and a red.

Everyone was totally satiated by the time lunch was over and we headed back to the Villa to relax, swim, nap, etc. It was a great day. Needless to say, we just snacked that night...

Check out the photos below to see some more of what all we did and ate...
Smelling BerriesSmelling BerriesSmelling Berries

Albert showing Teresa the French art of choosing berries - by smell...




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Chateau de Clapier Chateau de Clapier
Chateau de Clapier

Before the cooking lesson started, we were taken on a brief tour of the wine cellar where these huge barrels of wine were kept.
Chopping & PeelingChopping & Peeling
Chopping & Peeling

The picture tells the story...
AsparagusAsparagus
Asparagus

Prepping the asparagus
Teacher & StudentsTeacher & Students
Teacher & Students

Here we are being closely supervised by Albert
DessertDessert
Dessert

Zdena helping Robert peel pears for one of the desserts
The DoughThe Dough
The Dough

This was the beginning of the pear pie - one of several desserts we made that day.
AppetizerAppetizer
Appetizer

These were incredible stuffed potato cups - a small potato cup stuffed with a seasoned mixture of ground beef, lamb and pork - a wonderful appetizer.
RatatouilleRatatouille
Ratatouille

This was one of the best dishes we made that day - a veggie ratatouille. It just melted in your mouth.
Chef WestChef West
Chef West

Here is West making potato balls that became part of something - I just can't remember what it was!
PlatingPlating
Plating

Teresa helping Robert plate one of the desserts
Table 1Table 1
Table 1

Here is part of our group enjoying the incredible meal with Albert
Table 2Table 2
Table 2

Here are the rest of us sharing the experience with Robert
EncoreEncore
Encore

Robert giving Ki seconds
After LunchAfter Lunch
After Lunch

Here is a shot of Albert, Zdena and the owner of the Chateau who came out and met us after lunch
Time To GoTime To Go
Time To Go

Zdena and Teresa sitting in the back of the van resting before the trip back to the house


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb