Castle in the Rock


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes
October 5th 2012
Published: November 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We decided to expand our horizons and take a road trip to Castle De Rogeac or the Castle in the Rock. It was built in the 12th century but there have been folks living here since prehistoric times. It was a natural cliff with a cave that the builders expanded until it became a multistory castle. It is well protected with a great view of all the land around, so good for defensive action.

There are two approaches labeled Steep and easy. In my opinion, both require a bit of sweat. Of course, how else would you get into a castle on a cliff?

On the lowest level, the kitchen is a great picture of cooking in those times. Lots of antique utensils and a beautiful 16th century sideboard. On this same level there is a small museum of prehistory with skulls discovered in the area which represent the changes in anatomy over the years. There are lots of stairs to climb to the next level, the receiving room. Here, the lord of the castle would hear complaints, plan attacks and generally live life. For being in a rock, it was spacious. Remember, except for Francis I, most folks were fairly short in those days. Bedrooms had straw mattresses and were also short by our standards.

This was a time when the Lord ruled. He meted out justice to those who later wasted away in his dark, tiny dungeon chained to the wall. The slot in the wall to pass food is constructed so that there is no chance of the prisoner seeing the outside world.

The Lord also had the 'Right of First Night". This gave him dibs on all new village brides on their wedding night. Sure put a depressing end to the wedding celebration.

Up several more levels, to the defensive walls overlooking the valley. Tucked into the top was the pharmacists little cave complete with vials and herbs of unknown substances. I can imagine the mystery of creeping up to this little hovel and concocting various potions to ease the ills of the lord and lady of the house. It would also be a great place to meditate if you had enough of the carousing downstairs.

All in all, a fun day spent imagining life as a vassal or a lady in a medieval castle in the rock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb