Brantome


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes
October 8th 2012
Published: November 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are going today to a town called Brantome east of Angouleme. It is known as the "Venice of France". We lived in Venice CA and are anxious to see if this town is an worthy rival for the title. There is a small church here and what was once a monastery is now offices including the Tourist information office.

The beauty of this town is clearly the river and the park beside. This park was built as a place for the monks to meditate and it still serves the purpose well. A few souvenirs shops and cafes line the cobblestone street along the river. Since we are here in the fall, the town is not as jammed as it could be. But the weather is still warm enough to encourage outside wandering. So we wander up the river beside a charming outdoor restaurant. The houses across the street from the river seem to come with a matching riverside spot. How great would it be to have a quiet evening dinner listening to the river below with the ancient church tower above you.

But I think the not to be missed fun is the boat ride up the river. I don't know if you call the boats barges. Those of you more seagoing can tell me from the picture. It costs 7Euros and takes about 45 minutes but it was peaceful and fun. After leaving the small village, you float quietly through the forest. Gradually, on the right, you become aware of the ruins of a medieval dwelling. It's easy to imagine people living along the river in what seems like a long way from town. The river is shallow and the boatmen have to pole our way as we turn around and head back. What fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb