Tours, Towers and Tiny Speedos


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » La Rochelle
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ola chicas!!

When we last spoke to you we had just arrived in Tours. Not much to mention about Tours, just a quaint town straddling the Loire river, deep in Chateau country. Despite its small size we still managed to busk twice and make a reasonable €40.

After another dead on train journey courtesy of SNCF we arrived on the West coast into the town of La Rochelle. This bustling seaside town boasts the Atlantic's largest Yachting port, home to over 3,500 boats. It´s watery entrance is guarded by three imposing towers dating back to a while ago. Our 1st few days were spent lazing on the beach and getting towered off our faces!

Ok! Lesson number one for all you budding travelling troubadours out there. . . . . . nothing happens until you busk!

As Neil struck up, over the noise of the drones could be heard the rantings of France's angriest sweet stall owner shouting "Ne pas cornumuse ici" (Translation = "Get your bagpipes out of my candyfloss")

After moving round the corner, normal service resumed until we were yet again asked to play a gig.
Now....when a Armani top wearing, Scotty dog wielding, genuine Irish lady offers you a gig in Fitzpatrick's pub, with the promise of free fish and chips and beer you jump at the chance!

We played two nights in Fitzpatrick's with the 2nd being part of La Rochelle's Fete de la Musique. This festival took over the whole town with over 40 bands playing throughout the day. Music ranged from Electronica to jazz to samba via the pipes and drums giving the whole town a carnival atmosphere.

After a craicing nite and the worst hangover of the tour to date we struggled 10km down the coast to Chatelallion. The highlight of this sleepy village was the mile long beach and campsite complete with swimming pool. The lowlight of this sleepy village was the need to buy speedo's for access to the pool...bad times!

As we are writing this we have left France behind for the time being and have ventured into the Basque region of Spain (next weeks episode will be San Sebastian and Galicia).

Merci beaucoup a John lad, Fabio & Grooverider and Mary, Kevin, Paddy & Toby for all the free food & beer!

We continue......


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th June 2009

Found you!
Suddenly remembered about your blog which have now discovered. Happy to hear you are landing on your feet wherever you go. Good times. That was lucky, arriving at the fete de la musique. Are you able to do a little Michael Jackson tribute on your set? I think Billie Jean might sound good on the pipes. Hope the euros continue to roll in. Elizabeth Keep an eye open for surfing opportunities.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb