Loire to the Somme, we seem to be hopping our way back up France by means of the rivers.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy » Peronne
September 22nd 2017
Published: September 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

A good drive up from the Loire today on a route we’ve never used before. Pretty directly North avoiding motorways and going through some nice towns and villages along the way and round the ring roads of others where the town centres looked a bit inaccessible to Tandy. Some towns looked worth a visit but those were generally the ones we had to drive round rather than through.

Through the extensive forest of Fontainebleu then due north until we picked up the N104, the 3rd outer ringroad of Paris.

That one was a challenge, manic but the traffic did keep moving. We did try to stop twice at services and followed the caravan signs for parking but oddly there was nowhere to park and we found ourselves back out on the road again. Quite a relief to pick up quieter roads once we were clear of Paris.

As we were driving along a tree lined stretch Bob spotted some parking areas in the trees so headed off down a track and we parked outside Fontaine-Chaalis Abbey. Nice spot for our lunch and a little wander but we couldn’t go far into the grounds without buying a ticket and we didn’t have time for all that.

On the way again and at last we were past the trees which characterise the area right round Paris, all that Royal hunting I suppose. The trees have developed a decided Autumnal tint now we are officially into Autumn even though the weather has now decided on a return to summer. Typical as we will be home in 2 days !

Theh through the flat agricultural area below the Somme, roads long and straight and well tended fields stretching for miles in all directions.. The sun was out, the sky blue and it was a very pleasant drive even if we did get stuck behind a few slow vehicles.

Our campsite is just on the Somme at Feuilliere, Camping du Chateau et de l’Oseriaie. A super spot and a nice sunny pitch. Bob sat in the sun while I had a swim. The pool was unheated but this will be my last swim for a while so I’d pretty well swim in anything. Actually it was lovely once I had broken the ice.

Then a stroll through the very nice campsite to the canal and the Somme which is formed into lots of lake areas round here. Had a lovely stroll, clicking on the camera at herons and swans and very reflective water then back to the campsite for a drink at the bar. Have to say I really appreciate a campsite which has a pool and a bar open until the 22nd September.





Tomorrow will be a short drive to near Calais and we will stop on route for our ‘shopping’.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



23rd September 2017

and Bob, thanks for your post card, received this morning. Your flowers just keep on blooming! Love R xx

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb