Ever northwards to Saumur on the Loire


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Saumur
September 18th 2011
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Really heavy rain in the night pounding on the roof and everything soaking wet when we got up, wearily, after quite a disturbed sleep. Decided that there was not a lot we could do if we stayed where we were as too wet to enjoy the country park aspect of the campsite so we packed up and left.
Sunday is always a good day for driving with the truck free roads so a good decision to move on today. We took a simple route, bypassing motorways but keeping to the main road, straight up country via Poitiers. Past field after field of cows and crops. This is a good time of year to admire this agricultural area of France when half the crops are harvested and the fields are being ploughed ready for more. It all looks like a big patchwork quilt of greens and browns.
The weather was surprisingly nice after the wet night but the clouds started to gather as we reached Saumur on the Loire. We meant to stop for lunch on the way but didn’t come across a handy stopping spot so carried right on until we got to the campsite. Campsite is Camping de l'Ile d'Offard which is on an island in the middle of the Loire. We stayed here before, in early October 2003 and conclude we must have been almost on the same pitch as we are today. Then though we had a view across to the chateau which is hidden now by a row of tall bushes and trees.
We also visited Saumur with Nigel and Lynne in June 2007 when we met up with them on our way back from Italy. A lovely town and hopefully it will be sunny enough to enjoy a couple of days here.
After checking that the pool was heated, as weather really a little chilly for too much undressing in the open air, I went for my daily swim. Discovering that the water was lovely and warmer than the air out of the pool I did my usual 20 lengths. Really should be quite fit after all this swimming especially as, when we walked round the campsite later, I made use of the Body Boomer exercise machines for 5 minutes.
Used the wifi in the bar as reception said it only worked there (and Bob wanted to check Stoke’s football result (lost !)), but as I type this in the Tandy, several hundred yards away, I see I have a good signal so hopefully will be able to stay here to get onto the internet in a minute.
Tomorrow, if the weather is fine as forecast, we will use the scooter to visit a nearby Abbey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.2872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb