Sunday: Rock & Roll Tour


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais
June 4th 2018
Published: June 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Right now we are on the Eurostar from London to Brussels, somewhere in northern France, so have some time to catch up.

The highlight of Sunday was the Rock & Roll Tour of London!

Before the tour, Alex and I slept in, then headed over to Abbey Road Studios for the famous crossing. Unfortunately for us, there was a GIANT tour group there, and we could hardly see the studio. Kind of a bummer. We picked up a few souvenirs at the gift shop and got a picture of Alex in the famous crossing, then traveled to Trafalgar Square to pick up our tour.

It was a blast from the start! Our tour guide, Lee, was incredible - funny, knowledgeable, and engaging. He saw Alex as we boarded the van and said "Oh, we have a kid! How old are you?" When she said "Twelve," he cracked up, and they were buddies the rest of the way.

Over the next four hours we drove across London seeing so many historic and current sites in British rock: Eric Clapton's house and car, Brian Epstein's house, Freddie Mercury's house, Jimmy Page's current house, the hotel room where Jimi Hendrix died, and many others. We stopped for a drink at Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers restaurant, and it was filled with Rolling Stones stuff - guitars, gold records, and lots of tour posters. Our last planned stop was Abbey Road Studios. This time almost no one was there, so we took lots of pictures and left our marks on the graffiti wall. So much fun!

On the way back, I whispered to Alex that it was too bad that we couldn't see 3 Saville Row, former site of Apple and scene of the Beatles' rooftop concert. A few minutes later, Lee said that since we had some time, we would be going to Saville Row! Woo hoo! The shop is now an Abercrombie & Fitch Kids, but we still enjoyed experiencing such an historic place and pleasant surprise.

After the tour, we hurried to the Picadilly Circus Gap store so Alex could get some shorts, then went back to Camden for dinner. Our Airbnb host Lolly was kind enough to let us dry the clothes we had hand washed. This was the first night that was really cool and comfortable, so we all sat outside talking til things were dry. Found out that although she has lived in Camden over 20 years, she is originally from Ireland. Though we saw very little of her, Lolly was very sweet and made our stay as good as it could be.

Next entry from Amsterdam!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb