Calais: a hotel, some dinner, "please hold..."


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Nord-Pas de Calais » Calais
June 28th 2007
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Calais town hallCalais town hallCalais town hall

Decided to wander down to the clock tower we saw on our way in, which was part of the town hall.
Geo: 50.956, 1.85013

We arrived in Calais with relatively little trouble. Once we were out of Paris, the driving was less treacherous. We found the tourist information office (hooray for the little "i"!), and selected a hotel within walking distance (Hotel Pacific). We bought a phone card at the train station, and tried to dial the 4-digit number, with no luck. Went to find an internet cafe (which we did, with 25 minutes til their closing time), and found a "real" phone number for Air Canada.

Back to the pay phone. Got hold of someone (after about 15 minutes of holding, watching those pricey phone card units tick away). Nope, sorry, don't know where your luggage is. We inform them of our next destination, and continue with our day.

Headed down the street to see the town hall and its gorgeous clock tower, then hit some of the shops. Apparenly, sales don't happen al the time in France (so, Foley's would be right out of place here), but July is sale time. We got a couple of pairs of boxers, and a shirt for the CBB, as well as a toothbrush. Everything else, we can share, or he can re-wear.

Had dinner at a slightly touristy, but pretty tasty place down the street from the hotel. We were just too tired to go looking too far. Hit the hay by about 8:00.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb